Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
settling chamber

Posted by n2water (My Page) on
Wed, May 16, 12 at 17:39

I am turning my old pool into a pond. The finished product will be a kidney shaped pond appox 15'Wx30'Lx4'D which I estimate will be 12000 gal plus. Approx how much vloume should I have for settling tank(s)? What pump capacity should I use to draw water from the SC to the bio filter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: settling chamber

I make the pond the settling tank. Crap in the pond has to settle first in the pond in order to get to the settling tank where it has to settle again. Makes little sense to me.

I use a sieve filter instead of the second settling tank. Sieves remove crap from the water column 24/7, are basically self cleaning, take up way less space, cheaper, easier to DIY.

o
RE: settling chamber

imo the longer the settling chamber the better.i have a 4 ft.x4ft 3 ft. deep on my 1/4 hp performance pro.i would go with at least a 1/2 hp, the performance pro is the top of the line pump.make your sc at least 5 ft. long.run 3 4in. pipes from the pond to the sc so you dont suck the sc dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here