Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justin80_gw

Tropical water lilies

Justin80
12 years ago

Hello all,

I just recently got back into ponding after about 10 years out of it and last week I bit the bullet and bought several varieties of tropical water lilies. They showed up on my porch in the middle of a bad rain storm and by the time it stopped it was dark. I had to work the next day so I opened them up and floated them in the pond.

I finally got them potted yesterday morning and of course as my luck would have it, we get a nice cold spell. Lower 60s during the day and upper 40s at night. I read that tropicals can go dormant if the temperature goes below 65 degrees.

Cue me panicking... I didn't have a water thermometer so I grabbed the meat thermometer and stuck it in the pond yesterday. The water temperature was 69 degrees. I was a little more relieved but not enough to keep me from having a nightmare last night about it snowing on them. So again this morning (since it was even colder last night), I check the temperature and it is 68 degrees. So far so good.

Temps are supposed to be back up to a more seasonal 78/80 Wednesday so if they can make it one more day then I think I'm in the clear. Has anybody here had any experience with tropicals going into dormancy due to putting them out too early? Did they come out of it okay? Was their growth/blooming stunted for that year?

I ALMOST brought them inside last night and put them in the extra bath tub, but that would have required me pulling them out of the pots and I didn't want to have to repot them all again. I hope they're going to be okay...

Comments (6)

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    I think you'll be okay. obviously some types are more sensitive but on average they can tolerate down to freeze.
    Generally they go dormant below 45 but it must be consistant. If the days are warm they will continue to grow. and flower. What is your plan for next winter??
    Good luck!!! gary

• Justin80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That makes me feel better. Tonight is the last cold night but it's going to be up in the mid 70s today and then mid-80s the rest of the week. So far they are looking okay and the submerged pads still look like they are making their way to the surface.

This winter I'm either going to try to overwinter the tubers like I've read of some people doing or cut the larger pads back and bring the pots inside in a small plastic kiddy-pool and put it in front of the window in an extra room.

Years back when I tried this the first time, I tried overwintering tropical tubers wrapped up in lightly moist paper towels in baggies in the crisper drawer of the fridge (had read that online). It didn't work and I lost them all. I've since read some other methods that might work better.

Thanks again for the encouragement Gary.

• catherinet
    12 years ago

But if they went dormant after being planted and submerged......wouldn't they just come out of it when it warmed up?

• Justin80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I honestly don't know. There isn't a lot of info out there about it that I can find. One site seemed to suggest that they wouldn't bloom that year or that it would set them back.

But, I noticed more pads on the surface today and last night was the last cold night. I think the crisis has been averted.

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    What is the reason you picked trops over temps?? I grow only tropicals because of the long ,hot summers in my area.
    Particularly fond of "blue Goddess" because of the sky blue color and "King of Siam" due to the dark almost black ,purple color. Have never grown the temps as the two mentioned overgrow my small ponds anyway.lol
    In zone 8 I'd think you'd be able to keep them in your pond over winter as long as the water doesn't freeze.
    Mine have survived down to 27 for short periods. They sailed through the last two record setting winters but they did completely disappear during Jan.
    Anyway hope your plants recover !!! gary

• Justin80
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I picked tropicals because I'd already grown several varieties of hardies and was looking to get into something different, color and pad-wise.

I'm not sure about them overwintering in the pond, but I'm going to try several different overwintering experiments with them to give me a better chance of them coming back next year.

I did think about getting a stock tank heater and putting it in the lower pond to see if I could overwinter that way. I'm also going to collect the corms and try overwintering that way. Hopefully I'll come across a method that works that I can use year after year.