Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What pest is attacking my lotus? (pics)

Posted by mishon z8a/b TX (My Page) on
Mon, May 23, 11 at 18:10

I have been in the hospital since March, and recently came home to find my 'temple dancer' lotus in HORRIBLE condition, all the leaves brown and string algae covering the water. At first I assumed it had dried out but upon close inspection I found husks of some sort all over the stems of the leaves.

Any ideas?

Its planted in a small round planter with water covering the clay by about 1 to 2 inches. I had relatives and my husband on duty to take care of my plants while I was out, but considering the similiar condition of my orchids, it was very likely neglected for the most part.

Thanks in advance!

lotusbugs1

lotusbugs2

lotusbugs3

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What pest is attacking my lotus? (pics)

My, what a shame. I don't know what it is, but hope someone can
help you.

o

Wow, that is horrible. I can't ID it either. Sorry.

o

I'm wondering if its a problem with the soil or water, and the "pests" (what the heck ARE those??) came because the lotus is so ill??
Tell us more about how long you've had the plant, what kind of soil it is, etc. I'm wondering if it did dry out.

(I hope you're well now).

o

If you have a horicultural center in your area or a knowledgable garden center, I would take a couple of leaves, including the stems, containing those pests to them and enlist their help in dealing with them. I've never seen anything like that before. Put them in a plastic baggie to avoid contaminating other plants when you're transporting it.

o
Typo!

Sorry, I meant "horticultural". Finger-stutter.

o

LOL at nancy's typo!!!!! Seriously almost spit my coffee out.

Here's a link to a pic that looks like what you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: American waterlily aphid

o

Wow, Goodkarma, I think you may have found the answer. I'm trying to grow lotus this year from seed so I am grateful for any hints of problems that might come up. Thanks, where did you find that picture?

Nancy, I'm afraid I had a giggle at the typo, too.

o

Thanks everyone! Goodkarma, I am positive that the waterlily aphid is the culprit, it looks exactly like what I am seeing. Thank you so much for the link. Thankfully no other plants have been affected.

Thanks again to all!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here