Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chubbypoptart

woohhoooo success!

chubbypoptart
12 years ago

i bought a lily starter kit from holland bulb farm online. of course i used a bigger pot (3 gallon container) and regular garden soil with just a tiny bit osmocote in the bottom not much. only 20 days after planting the rhizome I got this!! and four more have followed!

{{gwi:192993}}

{{gwi:192995}}

{{gwi:192998}}

{{gwi:192990}}

Comments (10)

• clarabelle63
    12 years ago

That's really lovely!!

BTW...how are your lotus doing? Mine is growing slowly, but we have had more rain than sun here in West Virginia. I've got 4 leaves, but no ariels yet. We are finally warming up into the 80's and 90's and having a dry spell, so I'm hopeful that it will take off!

Carla

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thankyou! im surprised you remembered my lotus lol all four i planted have around 20 floating leaves (some 8 or so inches across!) and a couple small aerials but they do seem to have slowed down a bit. still doing great tho, probably bc of our temps here in florida....its been high 80's for a while now. i heard they love the heat, so they are in the right place:)

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Beautiful Lilies. My leaves haven't even reached the surface of the water, but I can see them.

• catherinet
    12 years ago

YAY! They're beautiful!
    My lotus doesn't have any aerials yet either, but we're going from low temps to the 90's next week, so that should speed things up.
    I have one lily that's putting out blossoms, but the others are demanding higher temps first!
    Don't forget to fertilize that lily chubbypoptart! They really put out the blossoms when you do.

• goodkarma_
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• maisaigon25
    12 years ago

Mine has been planted more than 20 days, but not even 1 flower bud. It was in full sun and I moved it to partial shade, because after a day the water starts boiling. Its in a 3 to 5 gallon pond. I fertilized it once and the water turned green. Please give tips. P.S. its growing a little more leaves. I got it from Lowes.

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@maisaigon25 mine is in full blown sun(and were almost in the 90's) in a 3 gallon container i used regular garden soil with just a sprinkle of osmocote vegetable fertilizer(the pellet kind) in the bottom then covered the top with about an inch of aquarium rocks. i left all the growing tips uncovered. my water in the pond did turn a little murky but its slowly beginning to clear up. within a few days i had floating leaves and about day 19 or 20 i saw the first bud just poking through the surface after it opened another has followed every day since just about. good luck!! heres some pics of planting and growth.

{{gwi:191472}}

one of my fish dug it up after a day or two and it had already budded these leaves.

{{gwi:191476}}

after i planted it again

{{gwi:191478}}

then i sunk it doen into the pond probably about 10-12 inches and waited these were my first few floating leaves which later turned green

{{gwi:191481}}

{{gwi:192986}}

heres the bud that i first spotted

{{gwi:192988}}

and then...

{{gwi:192995}}

hope the step by step pics help encourage you:)

• maisaigon25
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, My Water lily just got a bud on it today!!!!!!11

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Beautiful, we love the lilies, but it's always a challenge
    with the koi.

• chubbypoptart
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Once i protected the tuber from getting dug up by the koi the lily took off and doesnt really seem to get picked on much. Im sure if i had lots of koi i wouldnt be as lucky but my other fish are all goldfish