Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzygracepond

Parrot Feather DEAD & Gold Fish won't eat ??

lizzygracepond
13 years ago

Hi, My Parrot Feather died!

I have a pre-formed pond about 125 gal. I am NEW to this but have read many posts. I have a pump that circulates the water, no filter (yet), the water is clear, and the pond is mostly shaded. My house is new to me - it came with a dead pond. I cleaned the pond out about 2 months ago. I filled it and got 5 goldfish.

I put two plants in it. Hyacinth and Parrot Feather. During the last week, the Parrot Feather has slowly died. A few tips are green, but it is basically dead. I just put them in the water loosely. Any idea why it died and if I should be concerned?

The Hyacinth is doing great, growing well and appear happy.

I would like to get more plants but want to figure out why my parrot feather died first...

The fish seem happy, but don't appear to eat. I throw the feed pellets down to the pond from a window far above (hoping I don't scare the fish-they stay at the bottom of the pond). They never come up to eat. Hmmm...

Any suggestions?

Thanks... LizzyGracePond

Comments (5)

• goodkarma_
    13 years ago

Hi Lizzy and welcome to the forum! I wonder if your fish nibbled the roots off the parrots feather? I am sure others will chime in with their ideas soon.

Lisa

• riverspots
    13 years ago

How warm is your water? I'm in zone 7. We've had a cold spell recently where overnight temps dropped below 40. In a small shaded pond like yours, the water would quickly cool. If the water was cold enough, could be that it was too cold for the parrot feather to establish itself. If the water is cold enough, the fish won't eat, either.

• lizzygracepond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I live in Marietta, GA. The lowest overnight low was 49 on April 9, almost all other days were between 57-70 at night. I don't think that one low night could have killed them since they have been fine for at least a month in colder weather. I don't know the temp of the water. How long does it take to get them established and could it be anything else? Anyone else on this message board? Hopefully i will get some help by the end of the weekend. Thanks! Lizzy

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

Hi Lizzy,

I'm the same zone as you over here in Odenville, AL. Got a few questions for you. First of all, did your Parrot Feather have roots to start with? Our temps have been similar to yours and my parrot feather is doing great but mine are rooted in a pot.

As for your fish. How long have you had them? Have you tried feeding them from the side of the pond? The food may be hitting the water so hard that it's scaring them.

• lizzygracepond
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Reply to: "pondmaninal"
    You asked.. "Have you tried feeding them from the side of the pond?" and How long have I had the fish?...

From my first post -
    "I throw the feed pellets down to the pond from a window far above"...
    Which means I am not disturbing them in any way except for the food pellets hitting the water. I can watch them for long periods of time and they just stay at the bottom.

and "I cleaned the pond out about 2 months ago. I filled it and got 5 goldfish."... SO, the fish are 2 months old.

As for the parrot feather, they are also a few months old, and yes they had roots, about 1-2 inches in length all along the stem. The roots were not bushy and full.

I suspect, they need to be potted to establish. That is my answer... The fish are alive so I guess they are eating something.

Thanks,
    L

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting