Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long do YOUR goldfish live?

Posted by deb18 z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 2, 12 at 19:49

My pond is in its eighth year and since last year some of my original fish have been dying off one by for no apparent reason. I know you can find lots of people on the internet saying that goldfish can live 20 years or more, but I was wondering what length of lifespan you all are seeing in your ponds. My fish are all fancy goldfish.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long do YOUR goldfish live?

I have had fish live 10-15 years. Our heater and bubblers died last winter and we lost all of our fish last year, otherwise I bet the older ones would still be alive.

o

Hi
When I first started my pool in 82 I stocked with some feeder GF all of which were consumed bt herons within weeks except one .He went on to survive until the flood of 06 I found him 3 houses away all dried up That was a bit over 22 years All his companions in the pool were tropical fish which were wiped out by the cold of 09 I stocked with some more feeder GF and to my knowledge have not lost a single one Guess the herons are dining in better locations.??
, The original 12 are now 102 but have no idea which if any are the originals lol GF can live a long time but IME seldom have a natural death lol
I try to keep records on my stock but always seem to lose them lol gary

o

I had some that were over ten years old when they were eaten by a heron or other bird. I never saw the culprit that time. He cleaned out my entire pond one winter except for a few babies that were still black/olive.

One reason older fish often die is because they are bigger and have higher oxygen requirements. If ponds are over stocked or pumps go out the bigger fish usually die first.

o

Check your ammonia and PH.

o

Mine are going on their 13th year !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here