Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marthaye

bull frog tadpole

marthaye
16 years ago

About 2weeks ago I purchased 6 or 7 bull frog tadpoles. Since

then I have seen only one live tadpole one time. Today there was a dead tadpole in the skimmer. I of course do not know if he died and ended up there or if he got stuck there.

Is there anything that I should know about taking care of tadpoles? I have gold fish in the pond. There are plants and water lilies and ledges. My friend has a pond and a frog (not a bull frog) that seems almost tame.

I would like to have a frog also. He does not have to be a bull frog.

Comments (28)

• catfishsam
    16 years ago

Bullfrog tadpoles spend most of their time just sitting so they are hard to see.

I put 15 in my ponds last summer and rarely saw them until they started turning into frogs.

You don't need to worry about feeding them or doing much.

• marthaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for responding. I will keep check and hope to have a frog by next summer.

• homesoldbyalison_sbcglobal_net
    16 years ago

Hello, Do you know where I can get some tadpoles for my pond?

• dirtslinger2
    16 years ago

I hope you're not raising bullfrog tadpoles in areas without a bullfrog infestation already! They are invasive to say the least.
    Without interference you should have local frogs dropping by.

• wi-ponder
    16 years ago

How many frogs do you want, and what kind? LOL
    I have a small 170 gal preformed pond and 2 600 gal pons connected by a small stream. There must be 25 frogs between them. Every kind shape and size.. seems like everyday another one shows up. I have tiny tree frogs, leopard frogs and bull frogs.
    char

• silent1pa
    16 years ago

Bullfrog tadpoles can take two seasons to mature. I have even seen them go three when dealing with drought and low food supplies. They are quite hardy. All they need is some algea and the microorganisms that come with it.I have seen them active right after spring thaw sometimes. It's amazing to see a tadpole cleaning algea from an ice chunk in march. I say thumbs up to raising bullfrogs since the last twenty years have seen major declines in the populations.

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

Check out www.wardsci.com for tadpoles. Glenda

• og_raskal
    16 years ago

20 Bullfrog tadpoles for 20 bucks....Free shipping...Some will have little back legs on them already.....The guy also throws in a few extra in case some die....EBAY is the place....Just Do a search on Tadpoles....~Raskal

• carol_lee
    16 years ago

Wi-Ponder,,, where in Wisconsin are you? Anywhere near Manitowoc county? I would love to get some Bull Frogs from you if your close enough.

• wi-ponder
    16 years ago

Carol...I am 300 mi. from the town of Manitowoc. that would be about a 5 hr drive for you. Not sure if you want frogs that bad or not. If you want to drive that far about 5 hrs each way) you are more then welcome to come get some.
    Char

• carol_lee
    16 years ago

Wi-Ponder,,,,,, 300 miles is rather far to travel for them however if we were traveling though your area maybe it would only be a short deversion to our other travels.. what city are you near? Might be able to work some thing out as we get throught the state.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Please remember that Bullfrogs are not native West of the Rocky Mountains and are actually causing extinctions of native frogs out here. Please don't encourage them in a non native area.

Western Pond Turtles are also endangered due to Bullfrog predation.

Here is a link that might be useful: BC Bullfrog problems

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

California and Arizona are having bullfrog predation problems too. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: CA and AZ frog problems

• socks
    16 years ago

Do any of you CA and AZ people have local tadpoles/frogs in your ponds? If so, where did you get them? I don't want to collect from local natural areas. Are they available elsewhere?

• wi-ponder
    16 years ago

Carol..i am about 45 miles due east of Minneapolis, MN and about 60 miles north of Eau Claire, WI not far of HWY 94.
    Let me know if your ever in the area.

As for the Bull Frogs... they are native to this area and have not caused any problem with the other frogs. As a matter of fact they even share lily pads & rocks. They are not huge so I am sure they are juvenal (sp).

• carol_lee
    16 years ago

Wi-Ponder,,,,,,, Thanks for the offer of frogs but I will have to decline on taking any at this time. We will not be getting to that end of the state untill the first week in September and that is later in the season than I would want to move the frogs. Thank much for the offer but no thanks at this time.
    Carol_Lee

• jmorris271 Morris
    16 years ago

I am in Columbia Martha. I have a pond full of bull frog tadpoles. You are welcome to some if you can catch them

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

They have frog eggs too. They say they are usually Leopard Frogs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frog Eggs

• drh1
    15 years ago

Be careful what you wish for!! Many years ago when we started our pond we added several bullfrog tadpoles each season. For about three years we didn't see any mature bullfrogs but we kept looking forward to "the day". One day I was out near the pond and heard one very loud "Barrump". We were happy! One had matured/survived!!! The next day or so we heard "Barrump, Barrump" a few times; thought it was great. Then one night we realized that all of that was just the bullfrog clearing his throat getting ready to burst into "full voice"!! A bullfrog in full mating call thirty feet from your bedroom window going at it all night for night after night is not something I would wish on anyone. Little frogs, peepers, green frogs, leopard frogs, etc. cannot hold a candle to these terrors! Needless to say I removed him to a local swamp (and yes, they are native around here although I suspect a heron or raccoon may have enjoyed him). It was then that we found that ALL of the tadpoles over the past couple of years had made it. I removed 16 full-throated beauties that summer. We've been sleeping much better since. So like I said, be careful what you wish for!
    ---David

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

I am calling tomorrow. I want to be sure the frog eggs are not bullfrogs although they say usually Leopard frogs. If they are Leopard frogs, I will order tomorrow. I want frogs here really badly and none have ever come.

• fletching33
    15 years ago

Hello, In begining of Aug. I bought a tadpole from a pet store, He is now about 3 inches long and has lil back legs. I have him in a 100 gallon pond that I will be putting a heater in soon for winter, I have ll rock at the botton of the pond, is there anything else I would need for him in the winter... a friend of mine thought he was going to be a bullfrog cuz hes sooo big... Can you help me, Im hopping he will make it though the winter or should I just bring him in???? Thank you fletching33

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

....Slaps forehead...What can I say? People shouldn't be trying to shape their ecosystem...if you have frogs nearby - they'll show up. If you don't - tough luck. If you bring in non-native frogs, you're probably breaking the law and are just adding to the problem of amphibian decline throughout the world...just kills me to see this kind of practice going around so unthoughtfully

• fletching33
    15 years ago

WOW WEE, It's amazing how people cant seem to answer a simple question. This tadpole will grow to be an American bullfrog and is native to this area (NOT ILLEGAL) Maybe if you took the time to ask you would have known this. I found the answer to my question from people that ACTUALLY know what they are talking about, so I have know need to be on this sight anylonger. It's unfortunate that there are small minded people out there like you!!! How was that for your Slap in the face!!!

• mikeygraz
    15 years ago

Fletching, based on your response I'm assuming you're a child (the retort "hows that for your slap in the face!" and horrid misspellings, well, I think that speaks for itself, haha). As for answering your simple question - yes bullfrogs are native to your area, but you specifically stated that you BOUGHT the animal from a pet store. This fact ALONE supports my original statement - it is ILLEGAL to release pets into the wild. If you bought it, its a pet and its ILLEGAL to release it into your pond. I have a good number of friends and contacts in MI and your actions would fall under that category. Maybe I should give them a call for you?

Bullfrogs have a huge range throughout the United States and Canada, and you have no idea where that animal you bought in the pet store came from - do you REALLY think a bullfrog from Florida will do well in Michigan (or vice versa)?

Also, by it being in the pet store, you have no idea what other animals it was exposed to or what pathogens it might be carrying that it could pass on to native populations of bullfrogs (dendrobatidus chytridmiosis) or rana virus.

Do you homework, have an open mind to listening to what others say even if it doesn't fit into your plans, and think about your actions before you take them.

~Mike

• carolyn_2010_frog
    13 years ago

I see it has been several years since someone has posted on this site about bull frogs. I live near Green Bay and we want bull frogs in our pond. We don't seem to see many around here, but they are native to this area. Can anyone near Green Bay give me any idea where we can find some?

• cnetter
    13 years ago

I see this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that this year I have quite a few leopard frog tadpoles in my pond. Last year a bunch of leopard frogs moved in (they native to this area). They overwintered and this year they were seen mating in one of the water fall ponds that doesn't have fish in it. I saw the resulting mass of eggs and now I have large tadpoles with legs on them.

This is pretty cool - the leopard frogs don't seem to have a taste for my fish so they are welcome to stay. If they eat baby fish, that's fine too.

• childress54_live_com
    12 years ago

im looking for american bull frog tad poles can anyone help me out with a phone number or a store that sell them for my 1 acre pond from bowling green ky

• swvirginia
    12 years ago

Posted by mikeygraz 5 Omaha, NE (My Page) on Mon, Oct 20, 08 at 12:19
    Fletching, based on your response I'm assuming you're a child (the retort "hows that for your slap in the face!" and horrid misspellings, well, I think that speaks for itself, haha). As for answering your simple question - yes bullfrogs are native to your area, but you specifically stated that you BOUGHT the animal from a pet store. This fact ALONE supports my original statement - it is ILLEGAL to release pets into the wild. If you bought it, its a pet and its ILLEGAL to release it into your pond. I have a good number of friends and contacts in MI and your actions would fall under that category. Maybe I should give them a call for you?
    Bullfrogs have a huge range throughout the United States and Canada, and you have no idea where that animal you bought in the pet store came from - do you REALLY think a bullfrog from Florida will do well in Michigan (or vice versa)?

Also, by it being in the pet store, you have no idea what other animals it was exposed to or what pathogens it might be carrying that it could pass on to native populations of bullfrogs (dendrobatidus chytridmiosis) or rana virus.

Do you homework, have an open mind to listening to what others say even if it doesn't fit into your plans, and think about your actions before you take them.

~Mike

Excellent! :)