Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missa7_gw

UGH ... string algae

missa7
13 years ago

Worst year ever for me with this stuff.

It's all over some plants, clogging pumps & skimmer. I pull & pull but can't get it all.

The toilet brush only does so much then it just starts combing it & makes it pretty & flowing ... like hair. LOL

Comments (14)

• mondotomhead
    13 years ago

I had alot of this too. I bought some watercress at the store about a month ago and it has taken nicely and started growing. Since then the algae has mostly disappeared. I wonder if its the watercress. In case you don't know where to get some watercress they sell it in the produce department and it looks like parsley.

• catherinet
    13 years ago

I thought I'd pull out what I thought was a little string algae in 2 of my stocktanks. I can't believe how much there was! Seems like I pulled out about 25' of it from each stocktank! I'm hoping the plants will do better now, and help keep the algae down.

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

UH OH!!! I hope you're not the same person that I know from another forum.

• missa7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yea, why uh oh?

• goodkarma_
    13 years ago

Watercress is good at eating some of the nitrate and competing with the string algae as are most aquatic plants. String algae is a pain and I am just starting to see it. I had an almost complete water change (5k gallons) with source water rich in phosphates (algae food) due to a small ponding disaster this spring. I feel your pain.

Lisa

• scaley_tailey
    13 years ago

Same thing happening in Illinois-huge amount of string algae. Figuring it is too hot too quick. Water hycinths are still too small not big enough to compete for nutrients. The fish seem to enjoy eating the string algae like it's candy

• catherinet
    13 years ago

I usually let all the algae stay in my 300 gallon stocktank ponds. It eventually would go away. No fish here. But......the lilies seemed to be very, very slow and I started thinking that the algae was taking nutrients away from them, so I pulled it out. Hopefully it will be of more benefit to my compost pile!
    I agree that it might have something to do with getting so hot so quick.

• brownthumbia
    13 years ago

I have algae but not knowing my algae very well, don't think it is string. It blankets the sides of the pond and anything in the pond. I don't know if it's called hair algae???? I have been going out every day to pull some out. Yesterday I read somewhere to use a garden rake, did that, and got a LOT more out. Will keep trying every day.

• timbersmith
    13 years ago

Yea, I've had string algae out the wazoo this spring - no green water, just string algae. I almost filled a kitchen bucket to the top when I jumped in and cleaned up all that I could reach, it was that bad.

Fortunately it's starting to die back, now. The water celery has really started taking hold and everything else is actively growing so I should be good for the meantime.

• catherinet
    13 years ago

LOL Timbersmith......you better have a doctor take a look at your wazoo. :)

• horton
    13 years ago

timbersmith, I'd take Cath's advice and seek professional help for sure.
    How do you manage to sit comfortably, with all those plants around the old gluteus maximus ??? LOL
    "Horton"

• timbersmith
    13 years ago

Quite comfortably, actually . . . nuthin' like being wazoo-deep in a nice cool pond during the current summer-like heatwave that we're having :)

Though it does make it a bit difficult to replenish the beer supply when empty . . .

• TrooperRat
    13 years ago

An easier answer to this is to get a cordless drill, put a long stick or something similar into it, get the algae wrapped around it and pull the trigger. No, I haven't been electrocuted - it's battery operated anyway and yes - it's MUCH easier. I will pull strands and strands of that junk out of there very quickly.

• rsingley
    13 years ago

2 words... marsh marigold. Used to have string and suspended green algae, now have neither.