Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gdnh

planning a pond

gdnh
11 years ago

Presently my fish live in large tubs from hardware store but I am planning a pond (prefab one)

I have never been able to mix fish that are unfamilier with each other (they fight) will this happen if I put them all in the pond together (Presently six fish three seperate tubs.

Comments (14)

• heather_on
    11 years ago

Are they all the same type of fish? I have never had any trouble adding fish to my pond. Could they just be chasing each other in an attempt to spawn?

• gdnh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are all godlfish. They used to fight when I mixed them (put fish they were not familiar with)in the large plastic tubs, have not built the pond yet. Maybe it was cos they were overcrowded. I will put them all in the pond and see what happens.

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Goldfish aren't well known for fighting, they're not territorial. I have read reports of fighting but only from people new to the hobby and it always sounded like spawning behavior.

On the prefab ponds...I know they look easy to install but imo are much more difficult than EPDM. You have to dig a larger hole, difficult to level and get it at the level you want. They also don't last as long, although they generally last plenty long enough. Just my 2 cents from someone who has installed both.

• nkm56
    11 years ago

I agree with Waterbug guy. If at all possible, you would probably do better to get a liner. For a small pond, there isn't much difference in cost, but a liner is much easier to get rid of should you happen to decide to get rid of it or go bigger somewhere down the road. Few people want to buy a used preform. The great thing about a liner is that you can shape the pond anyway you want.

• diggery
    11 years ago

Mmm...can't agree with the 'not much difference in cost' business. Got my preform kit - including pump - for considerably less than the liner alone. That said, liner is definitely the way to go if possible. *If you want to go bigger somewhere down the road* is really not an IF but a WHEN. Doesn't take a full season to get addicted.

I will add that my preform pond, which has evolved into 3 connected preforms (see addiction comment above) is holding up well after 10+ yrs. Point being, START with what you can afford, be it 30 gallons or 3000 gallons but don't expect it to stop there *chuckle*. It's pretty much guaranteed that after the first season, you'll find a way to afford a bigger pond.

Have fun!

~digger

• mckool
    11 years ago

do your research, plan for easy maintenance, conser a couple sizes larger than you first thought, better to dig one pond than dig a second or third. definitely include a bottom drain, use swing 90 ells or 2 45 ells for easy cleaning - may not need them,=often, but when you do - pipe at lest one size larger than you think you need, like measuring twice and cutting once, suggest sizing filters and pumps at least double of what the manufacture recommends. Skippy filter by far the besst in the end, unless you like to spend time cleaning filters.

I enjoy my pond, just sorry I didn't do my home work on the front end, now the Koi are big between 18-24" and with no bottom drain, I've become quite an expert at pond sanitation- "the hard way"

bottom line is " pay me now or pay me later"

• diggery
    11 years ago

Lol...mckool is prachin the pondin gospel. Pay attention.

• diggery
    11 years ago

drat...failed to proofread

*preachin the pondin gospel*

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

I've been saying for years EPDM is cheaper than a preform...but, I've never really checked for sure, just kind of based on what I saw in big box stores. So my inquiring mind wants to know so I just Googled "preformed pond" and a Beckett Tabago 6o gal preform on Amazon (pretty cheap imo) popped up for $170 and free shipping, no pump or anything. A 5'x10' liner, leaving 1' extra for edge, would be 105 gal and is $49 from PondLiners.

I'm not saying a person can't find really expensive EPDM or really cheap preforms...but in general it seems to me EPDM is cheaper. Maybe I just happen to pick the most expensive preform?

• diggery
    11 years ago

Good to know waterbug_guy as we're planning to dig the real deal come late winter if all goes well - finally! I just didn't find that to be the case back when we bought our house & I was trying to convince dh we NEEDED a pond:) He refused to budge then we stumbled on the pond kit at a big box store on clearance - in April no less. Granted it was yrs ago but it was marked down to $125 for a 125 gal preform with pump. Even the tubing was included. Dh just shook his head & walked away uninterested.

The following weekend, I near tripped over the big box sitting in my carport when I went out to work in the yard...an early Mother's Day gift. It was in the ground & full of water by sunset with nary a complaint from dh tho he did all the digging in hard clay in a humid, near 90 degree temp. The first season, dh wouldn't come near it, rolled his eyes & sighed loudly as he watched me landscape & build a waterfall, etc. Occasionally, I'd catch a smile out of the corner of my eye as he watched my fish eating out of my hand.

TMI, I'm sure, but all that to say...guess who's been buggin me to haul the backhoe home from work ever since? *grin* As mckool said, start with "a couple sizes larger than you first thought, better to dig one pond than dig a second or third". Definitely sound advice. Ponding truly is addicting....even for the nay-sayers ;)

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

If DH buys and installs your next pond and its EPDM I guess I'd have to say performs and EPDM cost the same (they're gifts) and the same effort to install (if someone else does it) :-)

• diggery
    11 years ago

Lol. I'll hold on to that thought in hope that it works for round two *grin* Highly unlikely I can escape the shovel torture this time though. Hmm...maybe if I get it started w/the backhoe while dh is out of town, he'll take pity on me & do the finishing with the shovel. (shhh...don't tell, might be a plan). Now if only he doesn't see this post!

bless ya,
    ~digger

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

My wife puts on a cooking apron and comes out with fresh baked cookies and lemonade every once in a while. How can I ask her to pick up a shovel? Only time I ever see her in an apron. Just sayin', cats can be skinned multiple ways.

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom - is this a "soap opera" in the making?

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH