Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherokee_joeshoeboot

Koi scale regeneration???

Another silly question that I should know the answer to but don't. Do Koi regenerate damaged/lost scales.

I recently recovered some of my Koi from a pond at my ex's house. Turns out the pond had not been managed for 5 years and the only attention the fish got was feeding. When I drained most of the water from the pond so I could see to catch the fish I found the most disgusting mess you can imagine. At least 8 inches of mulm and decayed leaves. When I took a step in this crap you could see the gases being released. I'm surprised any of the fish survived these conditions. Many didn't.

Anyway, some of the fish experienced scale damage during the capture process and I wonder if they will heal and regrow the lost scales.

I'm pleased to say the fish are now in a properly cared for pond and are doing quite well considering what they've been through.

Another problem with the fish is that most have lost their color. I've been told that with time, proper environment and feeding the colors may return. I sure hope so because when I bought them they had nice colors. Hate seeing them with nearly all white colors now.

Thank You

Comments (2)