Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodkarma_

My Pond is Different from Most Because....

goodkarma_
12 years ago

Is your pond different then most people you know who have ponds? If so how? Mine is different as I do not have very elaborate waterfalls. I use pipes that discharge from the filters and are hidden by the creeping junipers and vines.

How is yours different?

Comments (13)

• pondmaninal
    12 years ago

Mine is an array of different troughs and stock tanks, one spilling over into another.

• serenae
    12 years ago

Right now mine is pretty standard, but this summer I'm redoing it to be a wildlife pond, which was my original desire. It won't have fish, no pump, no waterfall, or filters, and will have tons of plants and a 'beach' area. I think this has weirdly become different from the norm.

• frogman4_gw
    12 years ago

My main pond is lined with a sand colored BTL liner. Much different look than most.

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Goodkarma, let's be honest - yours is different because it is so totally beautiful!!!!

Mine is just a boring grey rectangular tub sunk in the ground in a very inconvenient spot with ugly straight-edged rocks around it... and a plain stream.. nothing beautiful at all.

BUT

I love the insects and birds and critters that visit the stream. I relax when sitting there watching them and the fish (well when I replace my now-deceased fish) and, ugly as it is, I love it all.

Some day, maybe, I'll have bigger and better, but for now I am happy with what I have.

Anne

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

My pond is different because it is in an old raised bed(cement walls),(instead of in the ground), and I have used milk crates for plants instead of planting shelves(to try and deter racoons and herons)and mine has an arbor/pergola? over it(also to deter predator birds).

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Our pond is different cause it has a beach section.
    The fish are waiting in the beach each morning for
    ma and pa to feed them. :-)

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am loving the descriptions of your ponds and the creative way ponders can "think outside the box". Anyone care to share pictures? Each one sounds very interesting and I would love to see pics.

Pashta- thanks for the compliment. :) I do admire your stream and I have never been able to create a pretty one. Though I have tried. lol

Calamity- I love pergolas. Pics pretty please!

Frogman- A sand colored liner? Get out! How cool is that. Does the algae cover turn it green? If not I can imagine how pond plants would contrast nicely with the color.

Serenae- A wildlife pond is definately different from the marketed water features. I love still ponds as the ones I have seen seem blessed with so many dragonflys and frogs. Your idea sounds wonderful.

Cliff and Joan - We all love your pond. Your filtrations system and maintenance program is unique too. The water clarity speaks for itself.

Pondmanimal-Yours I definately need pics. I picture in my mind the sights and sounds of water cascading gently into various container ponds. I have a feeling there are many interesting plants in yours.

Well I have news- My daughter wants me to buy the house across the street from hers. We are as close as peas in a pod so of course DH and I are going to look at it this week. It is a smaller house- would be a downgrade. The upside is it has an acre that is next to the park and river. So the location is an upgrade. I already have an offer from a friend who will take a backhoe and dig the holes for a new pond and settling pond. Life can change so fast. We will see. :)

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    My above ground is somewhat different as I put a glass window in the long side. Guess it's more of a "different aquarium than pond ?? lol . After running it a couple of years I found out why you don't see this type of pond very often. Adds a whole new dimension to maintenence lol gary

• jalal
    12 years ago

Hmm. Guess I could say mine is different as my season is about 2 to 3 months shorter. I was going to put my fish out yesterday as finally have days off but it poured rain all day and is still raining today and only 45F outside. Oh and the ice on my pond in winter is 2ft thick.

• ellene613
    12 years ago

Hi all! This my first post on the pond forum.

Our brand new pond is different because we built it to attract birds, and also because we tried very hard to make it (relatively) child-safe. Although it is 10" - 12" deep we filled most of that depth with pea gravel and pebbles so that the water above is about 4" deep and the bird wading pool area is less than 2" deep. No fish but we did just put in 2 bullfrog tadpoles for our foster son to take care of and enjoy.

We do have a little waterfall -- birds like running water and the sound is very soothing. Although the golfinches and house finches that frequent our thistle feeders haven't tried swimming yet, so far I've seen robins, catbirds, sparrows, wrens, starlings, and mourning doves come over for a drink or a bath.

• annedickinson
    12 years ago

Welcome Ellen the newbie!! Your pond sounds delightful. I agree, the spots the birds (and insects) choose to drink and bathe in are just about the best!

Please post some pictures in the gallery. We all love pictures!

Anne

• rsingley
    12 years ago

I suppose my pond is pretty conventional, but I built it right next the house and put an old whiskey barrel as a waterfall. I made the roof leader look as though it empties into the barrel and is constantly overflowing. I love the algae that grows on the barrel.

• pondmaninal
    12 years ago

GoodKarma, I will post pics when it is finished with me sitting it back up. There are troughs that will have to be rebuilt due to the old one being to small and made out of untreated lumber. I am just now getting them sat back up since moving into this house.