Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foodfiend_gardener

Advice on Pond Filter, please!

foodfiend_gardener
12 years ago

I have a 1200 gallon pond which is in full sun for a little more than half of the day, and contains goldfish and a few plants.

For the last 10 years, I have 75% drained the pond in the spring, cleaned leaves and muck from the bottom, and refilled. This, along with partial water changes every 4-6 weeks through summer and keeping leaves, etc. cleaned out, has kept the pond looking good and the fish happy.

This year, however, things have changed. I can no longer do the spring cleaning and there has been a lot of algae growth as well, so I am considering installing a pond filter.

The options are confusing, but after a few weeks of study, I have decided on a gravity model Fish Mate #314 with a Fish Mate 1000 pump. The filter has both biological and mechanical filters and an 8w UV light. It may be a tad undersized for the size of my pond, but the next model up is $90 more (filter and pump combined) and is a bit too big.

Does this sound like a good choice? Or should I be looking into a pressurized filter? Or something else?

I am open to all suggestions, and would appreciate any help. Thanks! :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio