Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annuals in the waterfall??? Full sun.

Posted by frankielynn 7b (My Page) on
Mon, May 19, 14 at 21:33

I tried a search but couldn't find what would work best in the waterfall in full sun. I tried inpatients but they couldn't handle the full sun so had to pull them out today. Can I use annual vinca or petunias? The green sweet potato vine is doing fine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annuals in the waterfall??? Full sun.

Mint does well and has to be kept nipped back to prevent diverting water out of the pond. Louisiana Iris too. Any marsh plant should grow as well.

o

I knock the dirt from marigold roots and stick them between rocks.

o

Thanks, I have some runaway mint in the garden and together with some marigolds should look cheery. I may try one of the vincas for a few days and see how it holds up.

o

i am surprised the inpatients did not work.i put mine bare rotted in a wet spot in the waterfall and they grow 3 ft. in diameter.

o

First spring with pond build end last August. I planted vinca impatients and petunis bare rooted in gravel along side a waterfall that gets 4-6 hrs intermittent sun. I embedded watercress in stream that WF dumps into. So far all are thriving.
I planted the above along with marigolds and sweet potatoe vine in a floating island. So far everything is growing

o

I'm thinking about sweet potato vine in the waterfall box spilling down the sides.

o

If you like the impatiens, try "sunpatiens". That variety seems to do very well in sun.

o

Yes, Sunpatiens are beautiful! I planted 19 of them each summer for a few years ....not around the pond, but in front of my house.

Thing is, suprisingly, the ones in the sunniest spots in the bed did the worst! In spite of their promising name, they still seemed to perform best in partial sun from my experience.

The ones in full sun still did well, btw, but required more water, that's all. They were beautiful, "showy" plants. I would put them in during May, & by July, they all had quadrupled in size! They got huge!

Have had great success with vinca btw, planted in the fullest sun! Even on the hottest days (we can be in the upper 90's to low 100's for 2 weeks at a time!) the vinca held up like a trooper! They look delicate, but they are tough little flowers! Haven't seen anything else do so well in the heat of summer on my property!

But unlike Sunpatiens and impatiens...they don't spread. What you see is pretty much what you get when you plant them for the entire summer. (At least for me!).

Good luck, Frankielynn. Whatever you do, it will be adorable!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here