Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodkarma_

Selling my house with my koi pond

goodkarma_
12 years ago

I have decided to try to move closer to my daughter as she feels 5 miles away is too far. :) So I had the real estate appraiser come to do a market appraisal and she firmly believes I should market my house with the large Koi pond. I was shocked and had already received quotes to fill the pond in. Who knew that a Koi pond in an Ohio suburb would be anything but a hinderence to selling?

I am posting this thread because in the past people have questioned if it is good or bad to have a pond when you sell your house. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I hope to sell my house with the Koi pond intact. I do however plan to take my fish with me to my new house when I find it. I am looking at a house with almost an acre of land that has two lily ponds that I would rip out. lol The one thing I know is that I have looked at three houses already and have nixed two because they do not allow the pond that I envision. It is really tough to be so pond focused that you turn down a house because it won't fit your ponder lifestyle. Only you ponder people understand where I am coming from. My DH just sighs and says "Next". lol

Comments (19)

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL sc14! We are a tight family. :) I really hope I don't have to fill in the pond. It would be a dream come true to sell it to a ponder. But with the housing market the way it is - well who knows.

• chas045
    12 years ago

I see nothing wrong with marketing the pond but if you indeed found a buyer, they would be at least upset if you took the fish with you.
    The way to have it both ways is to give an allowance for filling in the pond and an agreement that you could take the equipment.

• frankielynnsie
    12 years ago

We sold our home with the pond. It was filled in within the next year. The guy had had a pond at his last home and understood that I was attached to my fish-the big ones went with me. They filled it in because they had decided that at their age they wanted a very low maintenance yard. They also grassed most of the flower beds. I am getting to that stage and have made some changes in the last 2 years to simplify.

• LynneNY
    12 years ago

I'm with scl4! I am in NY and my son moved to California this past September. 5 miles is too far??? WOW!

I hope someone loves your pond as much as you did. My friends keep telling us what an asset our pond is to the house - I keep thinking that with all the bedrooms we have, a young family might buy the house whenever we were to put it up for sale, and they most likely would not want a pond, for safety reason.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

Goodkarma didn't ask for your advise on living across
    from her daughter. I think it's a wonderful thing.
    Our three kids all live within 10 miles of us, and I think we're blessed to have our kids near us.

Getting back to your pond Lisa, how are you going to
    handle the fish transporting? Buy a blow up pool?

Plus your daughter can get a pool out of the deal!

Since you moving close to your daughter, you could
    get the pool ready and seasoned at her house, move your
    fish into it before moving day, and leave them at her house
    until your pond is done...sounds like a plan to me.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I WISH my kids wanted me close by! I probably would move onto a better laid out yard...FLAT, would be nice, and it DEF would have to have room for a water feature, cuz I am HOOKED now!!!ha! Good luck on selling and moving, glad you have such a great hubby to understand your "needs" heh heh!

• milwaukeeboy
    12 years ago

We sold our home last year including our little pond and stream.

I think that it was at least neutral and probably better than neutral. If the realtor thinks it is positive than I think you should go with it. You can always go with plan B if there is a buyer that is adamant about not having the pond.

As far as building new I think that is a mixed blessing. Its sad to leave a pond behind but its exciting to start from scratch.

We have been pondless since August 1st but I finally have my vision for pond 2.0.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-al

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the replies guys. I should tell you our neighborhood is changing and not for the good. My DD bought a very nice home in a better suburb in December but has not officially moved out. Perhaps we can't cut the cord, or she worries that we will grow old in an unsafe neighborhood. She pushed for us to move close to her and here is where it gets exciting- We found a house 1 mile away from her!!!!! They accepted our bid and sadly for them they are behind in taxes and face a mediation hearing for forclosure in 2 weeks. So hopefully they will be able to get some money and not face a total loss. The human side if me hopes they find a place that takes their dogs and cat. I honestly am worried about that. :(

DD has a four car heated garage and I plan on a 600 gallon pop up pond with filters or giving my fish to Jenny from the forum who has graciously offered to keep them. Thanks Jenny!!!!

My new house will be double the size and lot (2300 square foot on .25 acre). The down side is the owners are semi-hoarders and the house reeks of tobacco and pet odors. We will have to rip out the carpets, primer everything including the floors and clean and repaint it all. DH is planning on getting an ozone machine from work to help blast out the odors. So I will need to forgo pond build plans for a year or two. To transport the Koi to Jennys or DD I will use battery operated aerators, large tubs with water and a pick up truck. It won't be pretty. Or I can use water filled bags filled with Oxygen if I can rent an oxygen canister. Any advice on transport? I would apppreciate it.

I am leaning to a large pop up pond in the garage. DD keeps the temp at 47 degrees in the winter but will keep it at 50 if we need to. I think with a good filter system I can keep them there for a few years if I add artificial lights. Any thoughts or advice on that?

Thanks!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

We discovered enzyme cleaners are fantastic for getting rid of pet odors. It should work for tobacco too. The primer is still a good idea if you plan to paint anyway.

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sleepless- tell me more. Is it something I can use on walls and floors? Thanks!!!

Lisa

• sleeplessinftwayne
    12 years ago

There are several different brands around. The first one we used was called "Out" but the name might have changed since the company was bought out by a big corporation. Another that was very good is sold where you can rent those big red rug scrubbers. Read the labels. It will say it is for pet odors. Yes, you can use it on walls, floors, fabrics and just about anything else. Just make sure there is no soap or detergent used first. It prevents the enzymes from working. My son says it didn't take all the bleaching stain out of a carpet but it did kill the odor. Older wood floors might not clean up perfectly since wood is so porous but it did a great job on unsealed concrete which soaks up urine like a sponge. I just had to leave a sponge or rag soaked in the enzyme on it overnight. You have to get down to any underlayment to do a complete job with some carpet. If it is really bad you might want to replace the underlayment.

• maryo_nh
    12 years ago

Lisa, a lovely family bought our house because 1) lots of bedrooms, and 2) the pond. We've already visited in early April to get the pond started up, the new owner is eager to learn everything. We'll have to wait and see how it goes over the next two years or so... Meanwhile we can't wait to get going on our new pond! Mind you, it's probably better if we build the house first...
    You know you're an addict when the new plot is ON a pond, yet, and even before you have the plans for the house, you've got the plans for the new POND!

• maryo_nh
    12 years ago

Our strategy was, if they want the pond, great; if they don't want the pond, then, after they give us the check, we'll remove the hardware and fill in the hole. It was not a negotiation item.
    We think what really helped was the "staging". Email me if you want me to tell you more about that, I'm no expert, but I had great help and I can pass on what I learned.

• groundbeef
    12 years ago

With reference to the new home, you need to use a product called BIN Pigminted Shellac. It's sort of expensive, but well worth the cost.

During application it smells like a bottle of rubbing alchol was spilled, and it is advisable to wear a respirator while applying.

Because it's a shellac (white) it's a permanant seal for the nicotine (brown color) as well as the odors. It is suitable for use on both the walls and the floor underlayment.

DO NOT use a water-based product REGARDLESS of what the salesman tells you. I spent 9 years running a Sherwin Williams paint store, and know what I'm talking about.

Waterbased primers that advertise as odor blocker/nicotine blockers require at minimum 2 coats, but offer no guarantee against bleeding from the nicotine, and very little odor blockage.

Secondly, although the tempation is to use 'cheap' rollers, DON'T. The alcohol in the BIN will dissolve it shortly (the glue) leaving a terrible mess. Use rollers in the $5-7 range.

The product tries odor free within an hour or 2, and unlike oil based products there isn't a lingering odor afterwards.

You can paint with latex over the primer after it dries. Carpet/tile over the floor.

Good luck!

• dakota01
    12 years ago

When I sold my house it was a big selling point ! The buyers had a koi pond and fish that they loved and didn't want to leave at their prior home. So, they were happy that they could move and so could thier fish!

I was heart sick that I had to leave my fish as my new home didn't have a pond.

• goodkarma_
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for such great advice! Today I got the loan and now I have to sell my other house. The reality is starting to sink in. I will definately see if "Out" or "BIN' are the products we need for the new house. I do not think I can leave my fish behind or even give them to Jenny even though she is a awesome ponder. My most fragile Koi who suffers over the winter has made another full recovery. I am thinking I need a temporary pond in a garage for this winter.

The one thing I have learned is ponding is truly a luxury pastime. Any of us who have ponds no matter how big are really fortunate. We in some small or large way change our landscape and create an ecosystem in our little corner of the world. Having a pond is either a great asset or liability in the market. I will keep you posted on which it is in my case.

• contraryjim
    12 years ago

I'd move if my kids were closer than 5 miles, maybe even 20.

One would go crazy trying to change a home that has been good for you, to fit an imaginary buyer. The love and care you lavished on your home will be evident.

• pikecoe
    12 years ago

Both of my children and their families live on our property. One on the front north corner and one on the back south corner and I say that is really too close. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it is not so good...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting