Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with water.

Posted by brownthumbia 5aIA (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 21:45

I refilled my pond about a week ago. two days ago I bought some feeder goldfish, which I thought could survive in just about anything. Nope. they all died. The only thing I had to test the water was a tester I had used for the acquarium. When I tested the pond water the PH was as high as the color on the test paper went. Is there anything I can put in the pond to lower the PH and I'm wondering why it is so bad now because the other years I had no trouble at all keeping the fish healthy. Well, except for last winter when the pond heater failed. RATS!!! Any ideas from anyone? Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with water.

1. Get a better test kit before screwing with stuff.
2. Test KH, GH, ammonia, nitrite.
3. Google "pond pH buffering" and read.
4. Ignore steps 1-3 and start dumping acid into the pond. That will really mess it up.

o

I'm sure that we would like to know what the top end of your pH testing chart color was. It doesn't appear that you read the current active thread on high pH so:

Here is a link that might be useful: here it is.

o

Newly filled ponds need to cycle, it is best not to add fish right away. Get your filter system up and running, it takes time for bacteria and algae to grow.

Feeder goldfish are often not very healthy to being with.

o

Can you tell us something about your pond? How big is it and how deep? Does it get any runoff? What kind of filtration do you have? What is the pH of your tap water?

Get yourself a testing kit like the API Freshwater Master kit. Old test strips don't have much chance of being accurate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here