Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this plant?

Posted by troy_l 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 21:50

We have a pond close by and I seen these plants in it that I would like to track down for my pond. Can anyone tell me what these are? They appear to have yellow flowers on them if it helps any.

Thanks in advance for the help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this plant?

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Tue, May 11, 10 at 7:24

Troy, it looks like Marsh Marigold to me.(Caltha Palustris)
See the link below for more info.
"Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Marsh Marigold (Caltha palustris)

o

Spatterdock?

o

Tue, May 11, 10 at 16:25

Cath, I think you are right and it is Splatterdock.
I didn't think that Splatterdock stemS rose up from the water surface, as we see in Troy's photographs.
I bow to your knowledge. If was Marsh Marigold it should have it's Buttercup like flowers on the plant by now.
"Horton"

o

It is Spatterdock. I have it and last year, I was able to get a dying bloom that made a seed pod but I don't think the seeds were viable. The flowers can get almost as big as a tennis ball. Well, at least in Florida they can.

o

Horton They actually do have yellow flowers forming. I just was unable to get them in the picture using my cellular phone. Lets face it cell cams are not the best for much of anything other then quick shots with no detail.

troy

o

Wed, May 12, 10 at 7:41

Hi Troy, Splatterdock also has a yellow flower, you can see it in the photograph linked below.

"Horton"

Here is a link that might be useful: Splatterdock flower

o

;) I had to laugh when I saw the pics, because "Splatterdock" pond lilies are super-abundant around here, where I live. (I live in Western Washington state.) I had dug a small earth pond about ten years ago, and transplanted several of the plants from nearby ponds into my own pond. Only one lived. It barely survived year after year, probably because the pond was nutrient-poor. I did have a few trout in there, but a heron ate them. It became just another frog pond, which was cool, but I really wanted to see the lillies grow. Eventually I planted pondweed in there, to give cover for any future fishes. That was probably a mistake, because this pondweed can be very invasive and a great pest. However, all of a sudden just this last year I suddenly saw green leaves grow on the bottom of this pond all over it. Apparently I finally got a good yellow flower out of the one surviving lilly, and the seeds had been distributed all throughout the pond. It is now in serious competition with the pondweed. Yea! Now, I'll have lots of pond lillies, and later, lots of fish that will survive heron attacks! ;)
randy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here