Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
largolad

Fussy Fish

largolad
9 years ago

Hi, I'm new to this forum, thanks for having me. I originally posted in the Pets forum & was advised to come here...makes sense. My problem is this....my fish won't eat the new pellets & I am worried. I am stuck with 20 kilo's! (I changed from flakes when my regular supplier closed & pellets are way cheaper. I got a lead on food from another member but I am in Australia. Should I ignore the fishes fussy behaviour or bend to their blackmail & buy more flakes? Another question.....has anyone had success treating the bumps some of the fish develop? I am also posting part of the "pet forum" reply to save typing....(Pet Forum blurb:- "Thanks for the advice "socks12345", yes I am aware they slow down in winter. They are over a foot long now & I've had them about 10 years when they were only an inch long! The Koi are the biggest but I have 6 types of Carp....Goldfish, Comets, Shubunkens, Black Moors, Fantails & the Koi of course. You are correct about the tumours. It doesn't harm them until the other fish start picking at them, then it is not only unsightly but also open to infection. It is expensive to treat the entire pond so sometimes I will catch an affected fish & place it in isolation (a bucket with a bubbler to aerate it & netted in case they jump) for a couple of weeks. I haven't had any success treating sick fish, they normally end up dying. The Koi are terrible bullies! They frequently eat the babies & smallest fish and even bite the tails off the smaller breeds if they don't stay behind! There is a real hierarchy going on! But they are stunning to look at and have real personality! Anyway thanks again for your advice & I do have a lead on some food by one of the members in the forum & I will continue my research." anyway thanks in advance & nice to meet you all. Thanks for the forum & happy Mothers Day in the USA!

Comments (6)

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Fussy is more of a human thing. Fish eat when considtions and food is right.

Fish do sometimes need to be taught to come to the surface to take floating food, but once they know about that, which I assume they do from the flake, they should be fine with floating pellets. You could try grinding up some pellets and trying that, or flake food plus pellets assuming floating pellets. If they pick the flake out and ignore the pellets I'd say there's a problem with the food. If they're taking in pellets and spitting them out the food is bad.

If all the fish aren't eating anything the problem is probably with water quality.

Bumps on fish can be many things. Parasites under the skin. tumors, bacteria, virus. Step one is always to figure out which. However, I'm in the same boat as the other poster, have never cured a fish. I stopped trying years ago. Dealing with parasites in the pond OK. Treating new fish as a precaution OK. Making sure water quality is good so their immune system is good, OK. But actually curing a specific problem with a fish, I don't even try any more.

• largolad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for the comments waterbug_guy......well the pellets are only 2mm in size, much smaller than when I tried it a few years ago & I was hoping this would be the problem why they didn't take them then. The water quality hasn't changed in one day (between feeds) & it's crystal clear as I have an extensive filter system encompassing mechanical, bio & uv sytems. The water circulates through & is cleaned about 5 times a day! The few fish that have had a nibble at the pellets aren't spitting them out but that's a good point & thankyou for pointing it out. I probably will get some more flakes & intermingle the food darn them! But I really do love them :-) Cheers....largo

• sleeplessinftwayne
    9 years ago

You might try pre soaking the pellets in water before feeding. Some pellets can be quite hard and my fishies at least have tender mouths.

If the food was improperly stored, it could have become rancid.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Hope you'll update later. It's an interesting problem.

• ademink
    9 years ago

What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, gh, kh? I also wonder about a water quality issue.

I currently have 90 koi cohabitating w/ goldfish and golden orfe with zero signs of aggressiveness. That's odd behavior, as they are highly social and gentle fish. I've only seen them "pick" at other fish when they have open wounds and it seems like a snack bar to their senses. lol

Any chance of a photo of these bumps/wounds/whatever they are?

As for treating fish for individual issues, I've had great success and will gladly share what I've learned! :)

• largolad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ademink, your advice is above my pay grade, clearly U r an expert Koi wrangler. I do have a water testing kit but being colour blind myself it is useless to me! I am fairly sure the water is good tho as I previously said they ate flakes one day & not pellets the next & they have refused pellets last time I tried as well. The water wouldn't have changed much in one day. My pellet supplier suggested I mix pellets & flakes & over time reduce the flakes. This sounds sensible. What do U think? Yes the Koi r gentle giants. The few fish (about 3 out of 25) that have bumps are ok until as you say a wound appears then it's pick pick pick. Also I found that I catching a sick fish is easy 1st time but they learn & soon dart under cover so I gave up trying. The urban myth that fish have short memories is just that! A myth! I agree they are not aggressive but if one of the smaller breeds swims past the bosses, (2 big Koi) they will lazily bite their tails off! (Just to remind them who's in charge lol)