Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LAST plumbing question from the plumbing impaired ponder!

Posted by jennyb5149 3b (My Page) on
Sat, May 15, 10 at 22:18

I promise this is the last question for awhile! *fingers crossed*

Thanks to everyone here for answering all my earlier plumbing questions. I started the plumbing today with some trepidation and by the end of the day I was priming and gluing like an old pro (well for me anyway!)

Okay, here's the question.....I have installed several unions for easier disconnections in the fall. Do I need to put teflon tape on the threads in the unions??

For now, I've not put any teflon tape on the union threads but I'd hate to get the pond all filled up and find out I should have put on some teflon tape.

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LAST plumbing question from the plumbing impaired ponder!

Jenny I am assuming that you are talking about the threads that connect the two half's of the union. If this is the case then the answer is no. On one half of the union there is an oring and when the other half is pressed against the oring that is what makes the seal. The tape might make it easier to undo the union in the fall. I have never done this so I do not know but I could see how it may make it harder to take apart.
Mike

o

Thanks Mike for the quick response. You got it right. I meant the threads that connect the two halves of the union. Good to know that I don't need the tape. I may try an experiment and put the tape on a couple of the unions and not others....see if it makes a difference when it comes time to disconnect in the fall. I'll report back in a couple months. :-)

o

I made the beginner's mistake of over-tightening at my first installation for fear of leaks-and taking that apart was awful. Use of the tape prevents leaks when just hand-tightening, making fall removal easy. Another option is pipe grease, really Vaseline. Far easier to put on than the tape and my choice now for easy separation of fittings.

o

Oooohh gosh I am SO thankful for the experience and expertise of the ponders on this forum!

Thanks for the tip mgeca! I would have totally over tightened the unions for the same reason you did your first time. Vaseline, huh? I'll definitely give that a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here