Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueyz75

Someone splain to me please why this works

blueyz75
16 years ago

http://www.koiclay.com/diy/pg1.htm

If you go all the way to the bottom, last picture where there is a valve like off the house for the garden hose is shown. I thought what a good idea I'll use that when I make my skippy stock tank bio filter. I however am thinking about it now that I got the tank set, and for the life of me can't figure out how that should actually work.

In my head, water seeks its own level. I'd have to raise the hose above the level of the water in the stock tank to rinse the filter material. I am thinking its like when you would try to raise a hose your siphoning with, if you go above the level of the water, nothing will come out of the hose. The water in the hose would be level with water in tank and none would come out to clean the filter.

Where is my "thinking" flaw?

What follows in their explaination.

"Open the 3" knife valve and drain the water to a garden or waste. Leave the pump running. Once the tank has drained and the water is rinsing the bottom of the tank connect a short garden hose to the spigot. Open the spigot and slowly close the ball valve on the inlet pipe until you have a good stream of water coming from the hose and rinse the filter media from the top down. Once you have drained 10% of the pond water shut the 3" knife valve and add fresh water to replace what you drained out. Always use a dechlorinator when adding new water. If the filtration is shut down during the winter you can disconnect this type of ball valve after you drain the tank.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm