Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aquascape pond local nursery nightmare

Posted by jalal z3/Canada (My Page) on
Fri, May 22, 09 at 23:08

Here in Alberta Aquascape ponds seem to be very popular. I was at a local nursery today and asked the worker there how they liked their "demonstration" Aquascape pond. He said he spent last week removing all the rocks and cleaning all this gross black stuff from everywhere so that the pond was "clean" before Aquascape came in and did their pond building demo. Customers at the demo were impressed with this system although the worker says now the pond leaks as must have punctured the liner putting back in the rocks. He said the nursery store owners said they'd never put one of those ponds in their own yards and the worker said neither would he. Maybe he should have kept some of the buckets of black sludge to show prospective owners what they'd be getting into! It kinda ticks me off that a store would continue to promote a product that they wouldn't have themselves! Oh forgot there's alot of money to be made on various "pond products" to remove sludge, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aquascape pond local nursery nightmare

One of those pond builders moved here to the island and for a mere $7000 will build you a nightmare!!!! He claims that you don't need uv as it is a "gimmick" and that the pond should only be 16" deep so you can enjoy your fish better. A very popular dinner/theater has let him build a pond right at their front entry, no fish or plants, very shallow...we shall see....

o
RE: Aquascape pond local nursery nightmare

Patti, I was at a pondstore in March to buy some liner. I saw one clerk sell an Aquascape pond owner pond sludge remover (bacteria) plus bio balls (to replace the lava rock) then beneficial bacteria (AGAIN....Lol) to "seed the filter material" and then sell her "clarifier". She bought it all for $175 and that was almost what I paid for my BD and all the plumbing parts.

Lisa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here