Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pool liner for pond use

Posted by dlhl z6 TN (My Page) on
Thu, May 1, 08 at 23:31

Has anyone used a swimming pool liner to build a pond? We're taking our pool down and I thought about using the liner for a pond.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pool liner for pond use

Last year I used one,,and it worked great, I used one underneath for my underlayment, then a good one on top., it worked fine, although was harder to disguise it with rocks, and the green algea kinda made it ugly, but worked until I could afford a regular liner. ( I assume you are referring to the blue liners of the wal-mat kinda pools,), one more thing when I took mine out this spring to put in a regular liner it was kinda brittle so it may not last more than a year or two,,but will get you by until you can save up,,,hope that helped,,

o

That's good information Ohio... I don't want to put all the time and energy into building the stream/waterfall I'm going to be doing soon and have to re-do it a couple of years later.
Anne

o

• Posted by dlhl z6 TN (My Page) on
    Mon, May 5, 08 at 14:03

Well, I'm actually planning to use the liner from our above ground pool which we are taking down. The liner is only about 3 years old. I thought this would be a good use for it. It's the thickest you can buy at Watson's pool store.

o

I just built a huge 8,000 gallon pond and was thinking of doing the same. In the end i bit the bullet and bought the 45mil liner. The second I layed it down, there was my dog walking on it and I realized, good thing I did the right thing, her nails would be very difficult to cut through this one but probably not a pool liner, so keep that in mind!

o

My first pond, I used the liner from one of those pools with the blow up ring on top. The ring had a leak so I cut it to fit the hole I had dug, small I know, & used it ....it worked great. Looked funny with the blue polka dots on the bottom.

I made it bigger a few months later so just trashed the liner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here