Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zendog_7a

Snails with incoming plants

zendog
9 years ago

I've just started a pond about 10x3, with about one quarter of that being setup as a bog filter with pea gravel. The bog filter area and a shelf on around part of the open area are a foot deep and the middle of the open area is 2 feet deep. So far the hole is dug, the liner is in and I've had a dozen rosy red minnows swimming around for about a week.

I just came back from a local plant seller - really an advanced hobbyist - with two coolers full of plants. Of course I want to put them right in, but I know there are snails in with the plants. I realize most ponds wind up with snails and they aren't necessarily a bad thing, but since I'm just starting I'm wondering if there is something I should rinse the plants with (or add to the water in the coolers for a while before putting them in the pond) before putting them in my pond since once I have snails they'll be pretty hard to ever get rid of...

Any thoughts?

I thought that maybe I would just go ahead and put in the plants and then add a couple weather loaches to keep them in check. Is that crazy?

For reference I have graceful cattail, pickerel rush, water iris, japanese rush and pennywort to go in my big area. And water hiacynth, frogbit, floating heart, hornwort, water hawthorn and momo botan lotus for the open water area. I'll probably add a hearty water lily in a few weeks when I decide which one I want.

This post was edited by zendog on Fri, May 23, 14 at 5:58

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!