Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Dap acrylic latex caulk plus silicone toxic to koi?

Posted by debby_ky z6 Ky (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 23:50

I have had to put a lg. patch on my pond waterway (1 liner comes from the lg. pond and overlaps the liner into the sm. pond.) I have used a patch to join these two overlapping liners. I applied this Dap acrylic latex caulk plus silicone around edges of patch and under the 2 liners. Did I do the wrong thing is this toxic to my Koi and goldfish?
Any help would be greatly appricated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Dap acrylic latex caulk plus silicone toxic to koi?

While it would not likely be poisonous to your fish, it might cause a blockage in their gut if they swallowed a large chunk. Why aren't you using an adhesive that is designed for pond liner? Caulk is not going to hold up as an adhesive. What kind of liner are you using?

o
RE: Is Dap acrylic latex caulk plus silicone toxic to koi?

Many people on this forum and others use PL Roof and Flashing Sealant. It's thick black sealant that seems to adhere well to rubber liner. Others have used black waterfall foam, even though it isn't really designed for that use. I would not use latex caulk. Like Sleeplessinftwayne said, it probably won't harm the fish once it's cured, but the question would be how well would it hold? If you are concerned, you might consider applying a section of excess liner over the seam (maybe a half foot to a foot wide) or perhaps a strip of liner tape and use a different kind of sealant on the edges. Be aware that any bubbles or gaps in the two overlapped edges are prime spots for leaks. I tried overlapping a stream liner once, and it gave me fits until I yanked it out and replaced it. Some people have done it successfully, but I wasn't one of them, ;-).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here