Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too many tadpoles.

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 2:05

About a month ago, I saw 4 Pacific Chorus frog couples, doing their thing. Now there are probably hundreds if not thousands of the little ones wiggling around. They can't all be maturing to frogs, most will certainly die. In nature, there are predators to gobble them up, but in my pond there are only 2 gold fish that seem to prefer algae. 8-)

To prevent the soon to be dead tadpoles from mucking up my pond, should I scoop them out and dispose? Or what should I do?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too many tadpoles.

Just let nature take its course. They will disappear and not leave a trace.

o

Leave them alone. They are marvelous at eating alge on the sides of the pond. They will be fine!

o

Leave them alone. They are NOT going to die and muck up your pond.

I have thousands every year in my container and small liner ponds and never have had any kind of die off or problems.

Native amphibians need all the help surviving they can get...

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 15:44

OK I'll let them be.
Thanks,

o

I'm jealous.

o

I, too, have thousands and thousands of tadpoles in my pond and I'm more worried when they mature!! Aren't they going to take over the lawn and how do I mow the grass if they do. I don't have any fish in the pond yet but am getting a few feeder goldfish. When I get some will they thin out the tadpoles? Tyvm for your help. BT

o

BT, most of the tadpoles will not survive to maturity. I worried about them taking over the lawn also, but the truth is, when they started leaving the pond, I only saw a few here and there. Trust me, it won't be like the flock of baby turtles heading for the ocean that you see on TV. Just dontinue your normal routine.

o
We have thousands every year.

They don't take over the lawn. They disperse into the landscape. I only see them occasionally. DH reports one or two hopping out of the way of the lawn mower not any amount causing him to not mow. I see them now and then when watering or weeding.

Yes, fish will eat the eggs and tadpoles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here