Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
louisea_2010

Chinese banded hi fin shark

louisea_2010
13 years ago

I want to purchase a Chinese banded hi-fin shark for my natural pond. Research indicates they are a temperate fish, but no indication if they will survive in ponds in my zone (5). If anyone has experience with these fish, I would love to hear about it. Thanks

Comments (7)

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

They are really cool fish! I don't have one, but plan to get a couple for my pond soon. They are hardy to water temperatures of around 55 or so, so keeping one outside in zone 5 may not work. they live around 20 years and can get quite large. They are very sensitive to Nitrate changes in the water though, so that may be the biggest problem in a natural pond. They also don't like water being very warm, so in the heat of the summer, you may have a problem if the water temps climb over 85 or so.

• louisea_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ccoombs1, Thanks for the info. We have 2 very large ponds at the garden center where I work, and we've decided to place 2 sharks in one of the ponds, and monitor the outcome. There is a large pipe that runs under a walkway to connect the larger pond to a smaller pond. In this pipe is where the fish winter. I suspect the sun heats the omnistone on the walkway and the pipe stays ice free. We sell the hi fin sharks as hardy in zone 5, because our vendor said they are, but my research leaves me with too many questions. we shall see. My pond won't do. Thanks again

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

I got 2 of these this spring. I'm going to be VERY disapointed if they die at 55 degrees, because I was told they would overwinter here.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

cweathersby, I think where you live, they might be OK. Your water is likely to dip down below that in the winter, but most fish can tolerate brief periods of colder than recommended for a time. In zone 5, I am not so sure they would survive. But they might! Let us know how they do!

• louisea_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We placed 2 in our pond this week. I'll post updates. Thanks for the info and interest.

• Catvision
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    I'm in Northern Colorado zone 5b and we get plenty of snow and cold - down to 20* F below zero on the coldest winter nights. Anyway I've had a hifin - Myxocyprinus asiaticus, or the Chinese Hi Fin Banded Shark for at least 5 years, bought locally from our town pond store. He is happily living in the pond with about 12-15 koi / goldfish. For the first few years I was worried about all of them during the winter but I've learned that Mother Nature is amazing and her creatures and plants adapt to their environment. We have the waterfall running non-stop 24/7 all year round. It's amazing that it runs under the ice and snow all winter and the fish are fine. We are doing a .3 % salt level in the water to control string algae and this works great as well as helps the fish.

• brandy123
    10 years ago

I have 3 Chinese hi fin banded sharks in my pond in zone 6. I have had them for a couple of years now and they are doing fine here in our zone.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio