Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spotted a new resident in the pond.....

Posted by hardin 7 SE OK (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 8:57

A couple weeks ago, I was working around the pond and out of the corner of my eye, I seen something moving. I looked and thought, "For real, a tiny turtle?" Well, time passed and I thought maybe I had imagined it. I seen it again and it is not much bigger than a fifty cent piece. I can't get close enough to see what kind it is, as when it spots me, it disappears under the rock. I know later when he is bigger he may cause some problems, but will he cause any major problems now being so small? I may try to get to his hiding spot, but that will take a little work. Wonder what he eats?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spotted a new resident in the pond.....

He will wander off. Turtles are nomads. At that stage he will eat bugs/worms etc. I think as they get older they become more dependant on plantlife.

o

fifty cent size icaught a 15" snapper heading to my koi pond This week,I caught him,a nasty nasty booger kept leaping towards me.I got him a huge bucket,put him in hubbys office.To think if my 2 jack russells would have found him, Oh my,heavy and stink wew

o

Awww... I bet he's cute. Why not keep him for the summer and then relocate him in the early fall to a big pond somewhere. Or keep in for the winter in an aquarium with some lights and places he can sun himself. I have kept turtles and they are great fun. You need good filtration when they get bigger, but they are really nice to watch.

o

From the glimpses I've gotten he is rather cute. I am going to let him stay, although he may leave on his own. I built the pond for all those who wanted to visit, so its all good. If I have to move him, I do have a place he can go about a mile down the road, there is a large pond and as I did not 'introduce' him, I'd say he is likely a native.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here