Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using non clumping kitty litter for

Posted by maet z5 NL Canada (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 9:17

pond plants. I can't get clay soil here but have used Wal Mart Special Kitty Litter. However I need to buy more but can only find the stuff that says it has diatomaceous earth in it. Not sure if it would be safe to use in the pond. I have gold fish in my pond and don't want to use something that could make them sick or kill them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using non clumping kitty litter for

Use that stuff you put down on oil spills oil dry maybe, can't think of the name but search here and you will find it. I used it and it worked perfectly!!!

o

Hi
Oil dry is what I use also, I think the quality is better than litter also cheaper.lol You;ll find it in the automotive dept. at Walmarts. gary

o

• Posted by maet z5 NL Canada (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 8:25

Thanks, I searched online and Oil Dri is in stock at our local Canadian Tire store. Going to go to Can Tire today and have a look at it.
Haven't checked Wal Mart yet but will probably check there to compare prices if they have it.

o

Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 17:23

Bought the OIl Dri and have my plants planted and put in pond. Wish I had known about it before. I have been looking everywhere for something to use for plants in my pond for a couple years.
BTW its more expensive than Kitty litter but thats not a problem since I am so happy to finally have found something.

o

• Posted by pcan 6b UT (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 10:18

Being new to ponding (empty hole, no water yet) I am curious. Are you talking about using Oil Dri in pots for your plants or directly in the bottom of the pond?

o

pcan, I believe we are talking about planting plants in pots filled with kitty litter/dryoil, I top dress my plants with kitty litter, it just looks nice to me. This year I accidentaly used the clumping yucky white cloudy nasty stuff, what a disaster!!!

o

Oil Dri in pots for waterlilies and other marginals that like sticky clay soil like Iris.

o

Tue, Jun 7, 11 at 16:00

I am talking about planting plants in pots filled with Oil Dri. Only have my lilies left to be done. Just debating whether to do then or wait until next spring. I don't really want to disturb then now since they are starting to send up pads.

o

If they are really crowded in their pots they won't bloom as well as they would after being divided.

o

a layer of bentonite clay (whatever product name)on the bottom of the pot, a handful of compost, place the tuber/crom etc. in and fill the pot w/bentonite --- works for me

o

Wed, Jun 8, 11 at 19:38

After reading Buyorsell's post I decided to repot the lilies and so glad that I did. The pot was really crowded. I had enough in one pot to replant two pots and threw some in the garbage.

o

• Posted by jalal z3/Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 1:58

Just a note here in Canada diatomaceous earth is a white powdery substance that is nontoxic to pets that we use to kill ants. Apparently it is very sharp and the ants love it but it cuts their insides to pieces so probably wouldn't be great for fish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here