Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maetrand

using non clumping kitty litter for

Freda
12 years ago

pond plants. I can't get clay soil here but have used Wal Mart Special Kitty Litter. However I need to buy more but can only find the stuff that says it has diatomaceous earth in it. Not sure if it would be safe to use in the pond. I have gold fish in my pond and don't want to use something that could make them sick or kill them.

Comments (15)

• bethereen
    12 years ago

Use that stuff you put down on oil spills oil dry maybe, can't think of the name but search here and you will find it. I used it and it worked perfectly!!!

• garyfla_gw
    12 years ago

Hi
    Oil dry is what I use also, I think the quality is better than litter also cheaper.lol You;ll find it in the automotive dept. at Walmarts. gary

• Freda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I searched online and Oil Dri is in stock at our local Canadian Tire store. Going to go to Can Tire today and have a look at it.
    Haven't checked Wal Mart yet but will probably check there to compare prices if they have it.

• Freda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bought the OIl Dri and have my plants planted and put in pond. Wish I had known about it before. I have been looking everywhere for something to use for plants in my pond for a couple years.
    BTW its more expensive than Kitty litter but thats not a problem since I am so happy to finally have found something.

• pcan
    12 years ago

Being new to ponding (empty hole, no water yet) I am curious. Are you talking about using Oil Dri in pots for your plants or directly in the bottom of the pond?

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

pcan, I believe we are talking about planting plants in pots filled with kitty litter/dryoil, I top dress my plants with kitty litter, it just looks nice to me. This year I accidentaly used the clumping yucky white cloudy nasty stuff, what a disaster!!!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Oil Dri in pots for waterlilies and other marginals that like sticky clay soil like Iris.

• Freda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am talking about planting plants in pots filled with Oil Dri. Only have my lilies left to be done. Just debating whether to do then or wait until next spring. I don't really want to disturb then now since they are starting to send up pads.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

If they are really crowded in their pots they won't bloom as well as they would after being divided.

• ponderpaul
    12 years ago

a layer of bentonite clay (whatever product name)on the bottom of the pot, a handful of compost, place the tuber/crom etc. in and fill the pot w/bentonite --- works for me

• Freda
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After reading Buyorsell's post I decided to repot the lilies and so glad that I did. The pot was really crowded. I had enough in one pot to replant two pots and threw some in the garbage.

• jalal
    12 years ago

Just a note here in Canada diatomaceous earth is a white powdery substance that is nontoxic to pets that we use to kill ants. Apparently it is very sharp and the ants love it but it cuts their insides to pieces so probably wouldn't be great for fish.

• Leslie Jacobson
    7 years ago

@jalal. "Diatom"aceous earth is made from diatoms, which are microscopic creatures that live in the OCEAN. Last time I checked, there were fish living in the ocean as well! Read a book.

• ROBERT C
    last year
    last modified: last year

Leslie, thanks for the ugly display of sarcasm that brought me back to the reality of how rotten this world is and why I prefer the company of plants to begin with. This thread can be used to inform, or it can be used to insult - too bad you chose the latter.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks