Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosambos

Pond 2008

nosambos
15 years ago

I try to keep the pond looking as natural as possible. The {{gwi:205368}} is just a couple of rotting logs. The string of {{gwi:205369}} and bird netting hold watercress which will eventually cover the squares. This also corrals the floaters in the shallow end of the pond to filter the water as I have no real filtration system. Here's {{gwi:205370}} sitting in his favorite spot. The {{gwi:205372}} floats on an exercise mat. The racoon is afraid to step on it and it provides plenty of hiding area when the heron visits. I throw anything I want to root on top of it. The {{gwi:205373}} are still holding together after two years. They are made from a wire backet lined with coco fiber with a pool noodle tied around the top so it floats. The noodle is covered with black fabric. Moss and weeds have covered the soil and the fabric so I think this will hold together for years to come. Here's {{gwi:205374}} sitting on his island.

Comments (14)

• prairie_bogger
    15 years ago

Great pond. I really like that waterfall with the water coming out of the hole in the log--clever! And everything is so lush and mossy green. Where are you located? My KS pond can only dream of being that verdant. :-)

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

Hey, that is great. Love King Tut and Midas. They look right at home there. I like the idea of covering the water noodles with the black landscape fabric. I use the water noodles once and didn't like the looks of them. But covered they look really nice. Thanks for sharing. Glenda

• youreit
    15 years ago

Wow, your post deserves a clipping! Really great ideas, and the frogs look happy as can be. LOVE that log idea, too (I think that's my favorite...:D)!

If I were a wild (non-human) creature, I'd stake a claim at your pond!

Brenda

• annedickinson
    15 years ago

Great natural looking pond. Fun ideas you've incorporated. I've thought of something similar to the water coming out of the log (there's a tree stump that is hollow in the woods) but didn't know if it would add too much decomposing matter to the water. Seems to work okay for you.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I love King Tut!!! And Midas. How big is your pond? Do you have a picture of the whole pond?

Anne

• terrestrial_man
    15 years ago

A great mix of materials and planting tactics!
    Enjoy the serendipity of the pool. The Sarrencia psittacina is a surprise!

• always_outside
    15 years ago

Wow, neat ideas! I love your frogs. They look so happy.

• goodkarma_
    15 years ago

Wow you even have jewel weed in the pond. I am so impressed with everything you have done. I really love it and wish I had a pond like yours.

Regards,
    Lisa

• koijoyii
    15 years ago

Lisa:

It seems like your pond improves with age. I think the one frog I have may be from the tadpoles you gave me a few years ago. It just amazes me how your frogs are so tame. The one I have goes into the water as soon as I approach the pond. For the first time since I put the pond in I had a toad singing every night. Wish I would have had some toadpoles to give you, but I think he/she is a loner. Maybe next year. My daughter and I always reminisce about our visit to your pond and how we enjoyed your tame frogs.

Jenny

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Not only is your pond gorgeous, but your way of posting pics is Fabulous!!! Very Inspiring to a newbie like me!!!

• lefd05
    15 years ago

Very nice! Very natural looking.:)
    I love the pics of King Tut and Midas.

• nanahanna
    15 years ago

WoW! Wonderful pond! Good ideas!Thank you for sharing! King Tut looks like Jabba The Hut to me! LOL.

Nana

• violet14
    14 years ago

I hope that i will eventually have some frogs in my pond too, neat ideas!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    14 years ago

Very pleasant. The moss is a favorite for me. Sandy

• hawkiefriend
    14 years ago

Wow, so cool! We have a ton of tadpoles but only some very tiny frogs that we never see! Or rarely.

We tried to make an island. Took some foam and cut a free form shape, and then cut holes in it. I intend to stick some floater plants into the holes. The whole thing is anchored (remember that our pond is 8 feet deep) by being tied with a long rope to a weight - dumbbell. I would love for it to look like your wonderful islands, and I'd love a royal bullfrog on top. One day!