Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finding total gal. by adding salt

Posted by joe_09 z7 ny (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 9:58

does anybody have a formula to find total gal of water in a pond by adding lbs of salt and measuring the specific gravity

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finding total gal. by adding salt

Nice thought, but I believe a hygrometer would be too insensitive to detect a useful value for you. Admittedly, I have never understood why some people add any salt to ponds. However, I assume that the added concentration would be far less than ocean levels.

Normal saline which is essentially ocean concentration is 0.9% NaCl. That is 0.9 grams in 100 ml of water. That ocean concentration has a sp. gr. of 1.0046. If, for example, you were to add one tenth ocean salt concentration, that is 0.09 g/100ml, I believe the change from pure water would be from 1.0000 to 1.0005. That would not even be on the scale of a hygrometer. Twice that conc would be 1.001 or barely readable. You would do much better by math. Now, if you have a friend who works in a clinical lab like I used to do, you could get an accurate sodium reading if your friend was willing to slip a sample in. Not very likely I suspect.

o

Do you want to do this because your pond is such an irregular shape and depth that it makes it difficult to get exact gallons?

o

yes i have an hour glass shape pond.what i was thinking if i added 160 lbs. of salt and it brought the sp. gr. to 1.003,how many gal of water would there be.

o

Check out the Marine section of your LFS or online. You can buy Hydrometers that you drop water on then it's like a spy glass you look through and it tells you the Specific gravity. They work very well with low levels too. I think there about £50 to buy but are very accurate.

o

i found a formula and will try it.

Vol. of water=120 x lbs of salt /salinity
i have a hydrometer and will let you know how i make out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here