Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

How to fix pondmaster pump-help!

Debbie Downer
12 years ago

Could use someone's help ASAP - this new pump(Pondmaster 1200 gph mag) already is vibrating and making bad sounds -It's possible some junk is stuck inside - I did pull out a few strands of something. On the other hand it could be the impeller is broken because it had kind of a rattling sound.

Can I open it up to take a look? There's all the screws on the one side - do I just unscrew those? Just need to be 100% sure I know what I'm doing before taking anything apart! Not finding any manuals or anything online....

Comments (17)

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Kashka Kat,

Yes there are screws on the intake of the pump. Once the screws are removed pull the volute off carefully. It may stick a little and if it does pull it off straight. Pull the Impeller out straight. If the shaft is broken half the shaft will come out when removing the volute. Clean it out and reassemble.
    Mike

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanksmuch. I kind of thought so... but didnt want to risk electrocuting myself.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

BTW, is it normal for this pump to have kind of a loud vibration and buzzing sound. This is a 1200 gph model, larger than my old 500 gph model (the one thats 10 yrs old and still going). You can feel some vibration from the old one but nothing like this new one. C

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Yes it will have more vibration than a smaller pump just because the magnets are larger. The only thing I don't like about the 1200 is that there is a flow line in the molding of the volute that runs up the side to the threaded intake. Which is not a problem if you are using it as a submersible but the volute can crack if using as an external.
    Mike

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK I went inside and that skinny little white plastic shaft was broken. I am not surprised! I have to wonder at the design of this thing if such a flimsy little plastic piece is supposed to hold up under heavy use.

Or is it by design - the shaft breaks when something gets clogged inside, instead of wrecking the motor??

In any event the reviews I read had a lot about this thing breaking - sometimes for no reason at all. Makes me wonder if the quality has gone down or they want to make more $$$ selling replacement parts.

• erniem
    12 years ago

I've had pondmaster pumps for years now and have no complaints. I even use one in my small hot tub!

If something worked its way into the pump then it is to be expected it will break. The good news is they sell all the replacement parts just for this case; cheaper pumps you just toss out.

The even better news is you can play dumb and try to return it where you just bought it. I think the manufacturer's warranty is 3 years if you have the receipt.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well I got the replacement impeller - and there is this a bit of a defect on the round magnet part - a rough ridge about 1/2 inch long that kind of sticks out a little. Its not perfectly smooth like the old one is.

Not sure it sticks out far enough to be a problem but I'm not sure I want to put it in my pump to find out....

On the other hand... not sure I want to pay the return postage either.... bummer.

• sandyl
    12 years ago

I had a 8 year old 3600 gph pondmaster pump that I had to replace the impeller last year and it ran for a little over a year after I replaced the impeller and died two weeks ago. I love the pondmaster pumps and probably will not own any other. I am currently using the 2400 gph pondmaster since they don't make the 3600 GPH any longer, which I think is a bummer. The key to the life of these or any pump is to make sure nothing but liquids go throught the pump.. Pebbles and or small rocks that the fish spit around go into the pump and the impeller will break everytime. Pebbles and pumps don't mix.

• sandyl
    12 years ago

I had a 8 year old 3600 gph pondmaster pump that I had to replace the impeller last year and it ran for a little over a year after I replaced the impeller and died two weeks ago. I love the pondmaster pumps and probably will not own any other. I am currently using the 2400 gph pondmaster since they don't make the 3600 GPH any longer, which I think is a bummer. The key to the life of these or any pump is to make sure nothing but liquids go throught the pump.. Pebbles and or small rocks that the fish spit around go into the pump and the impeller will break everytime. Pebbles and pumps don't mix.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah it's great that it's repairable - just wish I had some local place I could buy from.

This vendor wants a picture of the "defect" - I don't have a digital camera. Is this normal that you have to provide evidence before returning something? So much for the "customer is always right" (yeah, I know that dates me as an OLD person LOL.)

Is this something you'd want to take a chance on - putting this in your pump?

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Perhaps a friend/neighbor/relative could take the picture for you.

• mike_il
    12 years ago

One thing you didn't say was how old the broken pump is? I am thinking that the only thing that is wrong with the broken impeller is a broken shaft. So if the new impeller doesn't work you can take the new shaft out of the new impeller and replace the broken shaft in the old impeller. This should work if the broken pump doesn't have that much run time on it. If it doesn't work you may be out $16.00 the cost of a new impeller.
    Mike

• joycecarey_charter_net
    12 years ago

I have a Pondmaster 3600 pump. Just replaced the impeller, and the shaft broke almost immediately. So I have a newish impeller with a broken shaft. I have the shaft from the older impeller. I don't see how to get the remainder of the broken shaft out of the new one to replace the shaft. The Danner folks were no help at all. Suggestions?

• SamCec
    12 years ago

I have a 4 year old Pond Master 12B. It was working find until yesterday. I took the head off and plugged it back in. The motor works.
    The Impeller rocks in the shaft giving the impression that a bushing is missing.

When I put the head back on and tighten it up, it starts but because of the impeller rocking, it immediately jams.

Is this something I can fix. I have very little motor repair skills.

Sam

• mike_il
    12 years ago

Sam,
    You need a new impeller. It will come with a new shaft. Just pull out the old impeller and put the new one in and the pump will be like new.
    Mike

• Frances Keaton
    9 years ago

My impeller is broken off and the long part of the shaft is stuck inside. How do I get it out?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Needle nosed pliers or maybe old tweezers.