Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz_margoshes

Source for mature tropical waterlily?

Liz Margoshes
12 years ago

Hi, I've ordered plants for my pond from the Internet, but they're always babies that take the entire summer to mature. Does anyone have any suggestions for a vendor via the internet who would ship a mature, flowering tropical waterlily to my home in New York City? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I always purchase or trade with other ponders I've met online.

You might ask Enzo if he can send a mature flowering waterlily, he owns Utopia Aquatic. Keep in mind that a big one will cost more than a small one. In price and shipping.

Tammy at Aloha Pond Plants in Hawaii used to sell big waterlilies very reasonably but I'm not sure if she is still in business.

Frank at Matherfish (google matherfish, he sells on a variety of sites including ebay) sells big tropicals too.

There is another seller "Kat" that sells fabulous waterlilies too. The link I have for her website isn't working though but you can find her on various koi/water gardening websites. Not sure what her eBay name is.

Make sure you communicate with all that you are looking for blooming plants because not all varieties will be the same size. Focus on the size rather than cultivar will get best results.

• corrie22
    12 years ago

Liz, I saw the picture of your pond. It's beautiful, I really like it....
    If it's shady, try to stick with a water lily that can take some shade, stays on the small side, and can take some heat.
    You guys do get hot up there.

One of my very favorites is Tina, and Tina flowers like there's no tomorrow. Easy to over winter inside too.
    If you like purple with a yellow center, that's the one I would recommend.

Corrie

• pondmaninal
    12 years ago

Liz, the problem with shipping blooming water lilies is that the blooms die off. It always happens with any that is sent to me. Just get mature plants and feed them well.

• nkm56
    12 years ago

Aquariumplants.com I buy the majority of my water lilies there, and they are always big, robust plants with big pads and usually have a bud or two starting to come on. Sometimes they open up, sometimes they don't, but the plant is mature and news ones will come up almost immediately. I highly recommend this source.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aquariumplants

• temw
    12 years ago

Texas Water Lilies has the best! I have ordered from them and the plants are exceptional.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

This is Kat's online store.

I have purchased from Texas Waterlilies in the past but only once. I've purchased from Kat at least six times.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kat's online store

• chubbypoptart
    12 years ago

I have good success with my waterlily so far. I ordered the tuber online from Holland Bulb Farms for $23.00(including S&H) it came with soil pond tab fertilizers and a pot. the pot was too small but other than that I have no complaints. I had floating leaves in two days and within two weeks I got blooms! I've had around 10 blooms now since i bought it around two and a half three months ago! here's some pictures.
    {{gwi:192998}}
    {{gwi:192995}}
    {{gwi:193000}}
    {{gwi:193002}}

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I generally pay less than $15 including shipping.

Love that last picture, great close up. Is your waterlily the hardy 'Attraction'?

• chubbypoptart
    12 years ago

Thankyou thats my new camera:) That price is better! maybe i paid more bc it came with soil a pot and fertlizer tablets? Who knows. Where did you buy yours? I actually ordered an almost black but received this one, which i too believe to be an attraction. But for the mix up they refunded me every penny! So it turned out to be free in the end so Im not complaining:)

• Liz Margoshes
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for wonderful suggestions!

• lefd05
    12 years ago

I second the recommendation of Enzo, Matherfish or Kat if you want a blooming size plant. Make sure you ask for a blooming size plant. Just be aware that in most cases the pads and any blooms on the plant when shipped will die off quickly from shipping and the plant will put out new ones so you're still going to have some recovery time.

• tomsg
    10 years ago

I have bought plants the last 5 years from texaswaterlilies.com tropical, hardy and lotus tubers. The lilies always com with pads and some with unopened flower pods which opened within a week! The cheapest around with exceptional plants and service. They have the fertilizer tabs also.