Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bubbles forming in my new pond???

Posted by pcan 6b UT (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 10:55

Our 5500 gal pond has been running for about a week now. I have added about 10 potted pond plants, 8 hyacinth and a few water lettuce. I have not added fish yet and am expecting some anarchis in the mail soon. This morning I noticed there are now bubbles forming on the surface and under the waterfall. Is this normal, or something I should try to fix before adding fish?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bubbles forming in my new pond???

If the bubbles were forming on the bottom and sides on the liner, I would say it was an oxygen saturation, but on the surface it sounds more like some tanins in the water. Just organics caused by soil leaching into the water, most likely from your plants. It isn't harmful to fish.

o

Thanks Nancy!

That makes sense, I have added about ten potted plants this week.

o
water bubbles

Thanks Nancy!

That makes sense, I have added about ten potted plants this week.

o

I would wait a few weeks for your plants to grow and water to cycle and stabilize before adding fish :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here