Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lzydogrnch_gw

Too many tadpoles

lzydogrnch
16 years ago

My pond has too many tadpoles. We have 2 4" goldfish in the pond too. How do I get rid of all these tadpoles? I don't mind a few-but they eat all the fish food!

Comments (13)

• catherinet
    16 years ago

YOu can either net them out, or just wait. They seem to disappear on their own.

• debd18
    16 years ago

What kind of tadpoles are they, frogs or toads? If they are toads they'll be gone in a couple of weeks.

• comettose
    16 years ago

There is no such thing as too many tadpoles - I have millions of toad tadpoles and mostly they are gone now. Give them a place to exit for when they morph. If frog tadpoles it depends on the species whether or not they will hang out in your pond. If bullfrogs the population will take care of itself as they will eat each other until there is a number your pond can support, others will depart to other waterways. Leopard frogs tend to go far from the pond, etc.

If you didn't put them in your pond then you have a natural population somewhere nearby and I would just let them be. Just make sure to provide them with several escape places (a bridge, a tree branch, a ladder, etc.) something to climb up on and out of the pond when they are ready.

If they are small, black and round with a tail they are toads and will be gone soon. Toads are land creatures after they morph and don't stay in the water.

Is your pond really clean of all algae? My toads like to eat the algae and have not had a problem with them competing with fish for fishfood. If so, howver, feed more fishfood if there is nothing else for the tads to eat.

You are really benefiting nature by allowing tadpoles to survive in your pond. Amphibians and reptiles are suffering extinctions throughout the world due to habitat loss, overuse of pesticides and insecticides etc.

Nature will take it's own toll on the large numbers - they would not have so many if they were not eaten by other creatures. Toads and frogs are food for birds and snakes and so forth.

Be happy about your lovely part in helping wildlife survive! Watch in wonder as they grow - look at one individual under a magnifying glass to see the details. Takes notes on their progress - show a child who will be facinated. It's all good.

CT

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

{{gwi:206255}}
    This little fellow and lots of friends came to my pond last night. Now have millions of eggs. I counted 7 pair in my daughters small 250 gal pond. We got about 5 inches of rain, the first rain in over 2 months. All the tree frogs and toads were rejoicing in chorus. Glenda

• missa7
    16 years ago

I know what you mean. I've had about 10 rounds of eggs in the pond & the last few times looked to be twice as many as the first time. The pond is full of toadpoles.
    But they seem to be eating algae so it's alright I suppose.

The tiny little toads when they morph & come out are so cute, too.

• johnkr
    16 years ago

LOL I caught about 200 tadpoles from a local lake and released them into my pond. Sadly, my goldfish ate most of them in a few days. I underestimated their appetite.

• nkm56
    16 years ago

Stupid question, here. After the tadpoles become frogs and toads, do they leave their place of origin, or do they usually stay? I expect my fish will probably get a lot of them, but I was just wondering about the rest. There are plenty of frogs trilling in my yard each night. I really don't want hundreds of them, LOL.

• comettose
    16 years ago

Bullfrogs tend to stay with their 'pond' of origin but will leave if the food or mating opportunities are not enough to sustain them. Leopard frogs are travelers. I don't know about the Green Frogs or Pickeral as I don't have them in my pond and have had no first hand experiences. Toads disperse after morphing with a few staying behind. Last year I had a large number of adult toads and this year very few to be found. Tree frogs are more numerous for me this year which is nice.

• dougmach
    15 years ago

i have 2 ponds in my yard with plants and fish. i drained the kids pool for the winter and was going to fill it up again for the kids as it was going to be 90 this week. the pool has about 3 inches of water in it from the rain. it is full of tadpoles. some are large and have their back legs already, but some are still babies. can i move them to one of my ponds without hurting them? so i can ready the pool for the kids. problem 2: i was hanging clothes out on the clothes line yesterday and a million termite "flies" came buzzing by me. they were coming from a stump in the empty lot next to me. i was going to put bleach on it (i heard that will clear them up) but there were a lot of lizards on it eating the "flies" so i did nothing. i do not want any termites in my yard...what do i do? thanks cindy

• txgdnr
    15 years ago

Cindy, Sounds like Mother Nature is doing her thing! Let the lizards have the termites. Lizards are much preferred over toxic chemicals. Especially near a pond & where children play. Also, you can move the tadpoles carefully to your ponds, if they are very small your fish will most likely eat most of them. Better to try to save them by putting them in a pond.
    Good Luck.
    Dianne

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

anphibians are in trouble world wide from chemicals, habitat destruction and many from predation from bullfrogs (areas where they aren't native)

we should all welcome frogs and toads to our ponds. They don't hurt anything and you really do get used to their noise at night after awhile.

frogs and toads eat bugs too, many of which eat our plants.

• angeloarcenas_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I've noticed that ever since tadpole eggs began hatching in my pond, some of the fish have started coming near the water's surface gulping for air. I've heard that too many tadpoles will cause oxygen levels in a pond to drastically drop and will result to fish kill. Is this true? If it is, then i will have to start fishing out these pests.