Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodierddavis

Reflecting Pond Filtration

jodierd
11 years ago

I had posted earlier in the spring about my plans to build a pond in front of my super groovy mid century house. My aim is a surface of water seen from inside the huge windows, bringing the eye across it and into the view of the barn and woods and lake. Since it needs to be easy on maintenance, I have decided to go with no fish or plants, other than perhaps a lily. Yes, there are trees around. It'll be about 6' x 10'.

My question is, how much filtration am I going to need?

Since I want the water to be as high as possible a sidewall skimmer is out of the question. One option, as suggested by some kind person here, is an Oases Aquaskim but it too would be hard to hide.

I'm considering a 1' x 6' rill running into it but at the same water level. I may be able to hide a filter under the head of that and where it'd be wouldn't be too visible, but that won't be in the main pond so it's not a good location for filtration.

I've also thought about having a small opening for water to fall ever so gently (the land does slope) from the pond into a small pool below which could provide a place for a pump and filter. But that breaks up the unbroken edge. Unless of course I do an infinity edge on the far side. But I want to keep it simple!

Maybe I'm best off not trying to get gizmos in to help out and instead circulating the water and vacumning it regularly?

Thoughts?

~Jodie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH