Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ddeuerme

How many things do you have plugged in?

ddeuerme
9 years ago

Construction begins next week. An electrician will run a conduit to my pond-to-be. I want to make sure he installs everything I'll need up-front and it occurred to me that he'll likely install outlets to plug in two items by default and it sounds like I'll probably need to have at least three things plugged in, or maybe I'm not understanding things correctly yet:

- waterfall / biofilter
- skimmer
- UV filter
- I might want to consider lights in the future

Will I need four outlets?

Comments (8)

• Holly_ON
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Depending on where you live, you may turn off the waterfall in the winter (or not) but need a bubbler and de- icer for the winter. I would get at least four.

• ddeuerme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I'm in zone 8. It goes below freezing once in a while, but it doesn't stay below freezing for very long. I won't need a de-icer. If it freezes over at all, it'll only be a light coat of ice for just a few days. I can easily break it up manually for those few days.

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

My waterfall filter does not plug in. The line from the pump goes to it, it's just a box (with some media in it for filtration).

I have some lights and my pump. In the winter I have a floating deicer. That's it.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

The size of the equipment really tells you what kind of electric is needed. I assume we're not talking about giant pond, so the UV would under 50 watts, maybe way under. A pump, say around 4000 GPH might be 350-400 watts. LED lights don't use very many watts unless you're adding a ton.

A regular household electric line is 15 amps which means about 1500 watts can be drawn thru it before the breaker trips. You'd probably be way under that. You also have the option to run a little thicker wire so you can draw 2000 watts before the breaker trips, so more things could be hooked up.

That all depends on whether the wire being run is from an existing wire, like a current outdoor outlet, or the new wire goes all the way back to the electric panel (where the breakers are, "new circuit"). When extending a circuit you have to consider all the items plugged into all the outlets on that circuit. I have one house where both bath outlets are on the same 15 amp circuit as all the outdoor outlets, and also the bath lights (1978 house) so all are protected by a single GFI. Today's hair dryers are 1500 watts so that circuit is maxed out just by a single hair dryer...with the lights off.

The number of outlets is pretty cheap and easy to add. One box with 4 plugs vs 2 is like maybe $10 difference in parts if that, tiny bit more labor if any. Also easy to add more outlets later. What's expensive is running the conduit and wire. That's what you want to get right.

A good electrician will look at how many outlets are already on the circuit before deciding whether it can be extended. Code limits the number of outlets each type of circuit (15 & 20 amp). That's a little misleading because the number of outlets doesn't actually mean anything, only what is plugged in. For example plugging tuning on two 1500 watt hair dryers will trip 15 or 20 amp circuit. But code had to draw the line some place going by normal use. They didn't want builders to make houses with every outlet in a house on a single 15 amp circuit because that's misleading.

People really into ponds and lots of fish will run at least 2 new circuits. Pump is plugged into one and maybe air pump in another. If one circuit trips...and they do...the other would keep water moving and fish alive. In most normal type Water Gardens that isn't needed imo, but that's your choice to make.

GFIs do fail sometimes. Like maybe 25% of the time in the first 5 years, at least that's been my experience for Water Gardens. Meaning they trip off and won't come one on, or trip a lot. If you run 2 circuits you only have to move the pump to the other circuit and you're running again. The tripped/broken breaker is safe so no be hurry to get it fixed. So 2 circuits have some other advantages.

Even the smallest conduit can support at least 2 circuits, so that shouldn't be an issue, although labor for running a second circuit later kind be a lot.. For a new circuit there's a question of whether your panel has openings for 1 or 2 new circuits. If that's good the cost is for the extra wire and an extra breaker. Wire isn't dirt cheap, but the labor should be a ton more for 2 circuits.

Really just depends on your desires and budget.

• basilbird
    9 years ago

In general... the more the merrier. I have three and really wish I had four! Actually, I'm down to two because my switch broke over the winter but when my "pond guy" (a.k.a. Dad) fixes the outlet box, I plan to go with four.

I usually have a pump for the skimmer/waterfall, a UV clarifier, and a *pump* for the UV clarifier all plugged in. I'd like to put in some underwater lights so I'll need another outlet for that.

The switch that controlled one of the outlets was a good idea for turning off the main pump in a hurry but I think I prefer the extra outlet.

• ddeuerme
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's a small pond - maybe 500 gallons and I'm not worried about the current draw. This shares a breaker with the outlets in two bathrooms. I think it's a 15 amp circuit (didn't get up to look), but the biggest draw on it right now is an electric toothbrush. I only wanted to make sure the electrician includes enough outlets to plug in everything I'll probably need. It sounds like four should do it.

I don't think I want to go through the expense for an additional circuit right now. This project is already costing a fortune. I saw already what happens when a circuit fails. This particular circuit failed and was replaced a few months ago. I'm guessing I have dozens of electricians in the surrounding area and it'd be less expensive to pay emergency electrician rates if it fails again. Or just get a spare and be ready to swap it out myself. It looks easy enough to do.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

I assume by "circuit failed" you mean the GFI outlet protecting the circuit. GFI outlets are pretty easy to replace, but you do have to follow the instructions and test your work with the reset button. These really simple things are what DIYers often over look because they seem so simple.

I think it takes less time than calling around for an electrician, waiting around for them to say nothing of the time to earn the money to pay them.

For a 500 gal pond I assume a low fish load and therefore a pump is probably not actually needed to keep fish alive. So there would probably be no emergency. There's no reason to try and replace a GFI in the middle of the night. Taking your time will make the process less stressful and probably safer.

I do suggest you get a circuit tester like this one. They're cheap, have no batteries, hardly any training needed.

The tester can tell you if the outlet is working so you know if it even is the problem. More importantly when you throw the breaker to turn off power to the dead outlet you use the tester to see if the wires connected to the outlet are indeed dead. And if there's another outlet or switch in the same box, if all those wires are dead also. You do have to be clear you're testing the right wires. Lots of info on the web for using a tester. It is hard, but is stressful, and obviously very dangerous if not taken seriously.

• frugalgardener
    9 years ago

I have 4 pumps going 24/7. I have 4 outlets (2 boxes, 2 outlets each, on one post) and that's not enough. I wish I had 8. BUT my pond is 35 feet end to end. I really need 4 at one end and 4 at the other. OK and 4 in the middle on the far side of the pond would be nice too. The longest submersible pump cords are only 25 feet. GFI is a MUST! My electrician (and neighbor) thought I needed switches inside for them. I didn't think so but they come in very handy at times. Sherry