Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monet_g

Tubing Repair

monet_g
11 years ago

I have a tubing leak. I'm running a 15 foot length underground from my pump to my small waterfall. When I noticed that I was losing water, I found a small puddle in the garden bed. This tubing is the (corrigated?) type that has a wire running through it. Initally, I thought I would dig a good portion out, cut out the damaged area, replace it and attach connectors. Now I'm wondering can I just use silicone or something similar (gluegun?)? If so, not only would it be a lot less work, I wouldn't have to disturb many of the established plants in the bed. I'd appreciate any advice.

Comments (5)

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

Another option might be marine epoxy. Or maybe that plumber's tape stuff covered by the marine epoxy. I have used that for a number of pond related problems with great success. The nice part is that the tubing doesn't have to be dry for it to work.

• mckool
    11 years ago

You can get a barbed plastic coupler; cut the tubing and put in the coupler, I'd also use band clamps on each end.
    Some of the couplers are tapered and can be used for several tubing sizes - most pond suppliers have them. I have some of the same tubing and I keep a coupler and set of connectors for that very reason. Best solution is to change to PVC pipe when you can.

Tape may be a temporary fix

• monet_g
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I haven't unearthed the damage area, yet. (I"m pumping from an temporary fix.) I think the hole is the result of a wayward shovel or a mouse gnaw.

mckool, I have found the couplers at the hardware store. They're less expensive than the pond store. I'll have to search though my pond "hardware" stash. Hopefully, the pieces will be there.

• gilroybighouse
    11 years ago

Agree with mckool, if you can, switch to PVC. I recommend using the heavier gray schedule 80 pipe anywhere there is shovel damage danger. It costs a bit more, but saves a lot of work when someone finds it when digging.

• mckool
    11 years ago

thanks, didn't think to check the local hardware store - I get online for "convenience"