Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wthalin

Child Protection

wthalin
9 years ago

Hello,

I would love to hear some opinions on best forms of child protection you have seen for a backyard pond at a reasonable price. I have been doing some research and it seems the most common solution is using netting. However, which netting out there is strong enough? It seems like most nettings are mostly for catching leaves, will they actually catch a small child?

My first child is nearing the age of walking and though I want to keep the pond, keeping my daughter safe is far more important!

Thanks for any help.

Comments (9)

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

AZ has the most strict laws on protecting children from swimming pools so I go by those because they have the most testing. I get nervous when I start making up my own. For example I once was planning a pond in a public space so the depth could only be 24". To make it deeper I thought I'd make a false bottom with steel bars but realized the danger of a kid getting stuck in the bars. I could be making it worst. From that time forward I decided to just stay with code because it has a history of what didn't work.

Strictly speaking ponds here in AZ may not have to follow swimming pool code because the water has to be intended for swimming to have to follow code. And it is true that kids are more likely to enter a swimming pool because they've seen other people doing that and having fun. Ponds are more of an issue for accidental falling in.

Basically the code here is a 5' fence around the water. The fence can't be climbable so we can't use chain link. Gates on the fence must self closing and latching and the latch must a minimum of 54" (I think) above the ground. If the house makes up part of the "fence" windows have to be lockable (not sure is that's true) and doors to the area have to be alarmed and have latches 54" high. I'm not exactly sure on the windows and door rules but you can find them online.

Manufacturers also make temporary fences that can be used. You can order them online.

For netting the pond I've seen cargo type nets, but much finer mesh. They can be strung tight across the pond. You need anchors in concrete around the pond to hold the net taut. A loose net would be worst because the kid could get tangled. And the anchors have to be child proof. And this is why I start to get nervous when trying to invent my own. Wondering if I missed something. So I stick with code.

Another choice, if you can do without fish, is to fill the pond with pea gravel so the pond isn't too deep, or even no visible water. That way your child can even play in the "pond". You can still have lots of marginals, waterfalls and streams if you like. As your child gets older you can remove some gravel and make it deeper. These can be great play areas and your child can learn a lot.

• Holly_ON
    9 years ago

How about a pondless waterfall to start with. Then when your child is older, you could expand it to a pond. That way you could avoid worrying about drowning.

• wthalin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The problem is that I already have the pond. Our house already had the pond when we moved in. My wife also saw a heron in the pond the other day so netting would help as well. Has anyone used the netting that you can buy online? Just curious what you used and how sturdy it is. I have concrete around my pond so setting anchors around the pond would not be a problem.

Thanks

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

A net would worry me - even a small child would be too heavy for the net to support the weight. The only thing worse than a child falling in the pond would be a child tangled in a net falling in a pond.

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Google "net swimming pool cover" and you will find many. They all have weight ratings, proper anchors and installation instructions. You can even have one made to fit your specific pond.

The net only works if installed correctly. Anchors and what they're attached to is very important..

• ddeuerme
    9 years ago

I can't answer about the net/screen, but what about a pool alarm?

• waterbug_guy
    9 years ago

Check the data on alarms, activated by waves. I think 20/20 or some news show did a report on these and were found to be very ineffective.

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

Get a remove able fence for around the pond. Our son has one
    around his swimming pool. I would search Craig's list for one.
    My neighbor took his down once his kids got big...I bet others that
    have these fences sell them after the kids "outgrow them"
    the sections just pick up out of the ground.

• ddeuerme
    9 years ago

I saw iswimbands.com on the Today Show this morning. It's a wrist band that sends an alert to a smart phone if the person wearing the band falls in the water. I need to see if they have dog or cat collars or if there's a way to attach their sensor to a pet's collar.

Here is a link that might be useful: iswimbands