Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mgeca

Who to Believe?

mgeca
16 years ago

I have been trying to find a stone-look cover for my Pondsweep Pro 900 skimmer. I wrote to Pondsweep and was told there isn't one, if I am lucky maybe another brand will fit.

By chance I went to Webb's and there it was--a stone-look lid for the Pro 900.

Anyone else have this kind of contradictory experience anywhere?

Mike

Comments (24)

• natteringninny
    16 years ago

How about everywhere?
    It seems that when someone doesn't know...they will always make something up just so they don't look dumb. Kinda like getting directions from somebody.

• lsst
    16 years ago

I have a pro900, too and used a lid cover for an atlantic model. I will double check the brand.

It was a gray color and I needed more earthtones so I bought outdoor craft paints and made the top more earth tone.

I will go back and look and see what brand I have.

• lsst
    16 years ago

Here is a link to the Atlantic one. It should be the size of the largest one. Atlantic calls it the 9000. It fits my pondsweep almost perfectly. Before you buy one though call the company and get the dimensions to make sure it is the right size. Use the black one that came with the pondsweep for your measurements.
    It does come in a brown and gray but I bought mine locally and gray was all the had.

I will try to see if I have a pic of mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Atlantic skimmer lid

• lsst
    16 years ago

on my Pondsweep pro900. This is an older photo. I since has softened the "squareness" of it with driftwood.

{{gwi:206660}}

• christianme
    16 years ago

natteringninny, it is o.k. for people on this forum to ask questions and or share info.

• mike_il
    16 years ago

Mike,
    When Pondsweeps was it's own company they made a fake rock lid that you found for that skimmer but when Aquascapes brought them they did away with that product.
    Mike

• lsst
    16 years ago

About a year ago, I called the Pondsweep company (before it was bought from Aquascapes) and was told it was no longer made.

If you plan on ordering it from Webbs, make sure it is the same measurements as your proo 900 lid. I have had problems with typos on websites and the product is for the 900 and not the pro 900.

I have had good luck ordering from Webbs in the past.

• lsst
    16 years ago

I meant to say, I have had problems with website typos stating the product is for the Pro900 when it is for the 901f.

I wish we had an edit feature.

• mgeca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Actually, it was Aquascapes that gave me the information. I knew they had taken over Pondsweep. They did offer to have 10 guys, a Bobcat and 25 tons of stone in my backyard on Monday morning. I declined.

I feel fortunate to have found an original lid but glad to hear other options are available. I suppose finding any of the few parts in the skimmer might be tough down the road? Only the bellows stikes me as possibly fragile.

lsst, that is a striking looking pond; I wish I had the space for a larger one, bigger sheet of water, but I'm playing the hand I was dealt. Your skimmer cover looks just like what I need to avoid building some kind of hinged dock that has been mentioned by others. I took your advice and purchased brushes and the gray matala mat.

Christianme--natteringninny's comment isn't insulting my post, I don't think (or care). It is just a sardonic outlook on life that I actually appreciate sometimes and even share once in a while. Every family needs someone special to keep the conversation going--remember nn's relative webfeeet?

Maybe this lid episode was a fluke--I find most pond suppliers to be knowledgeable, then again how do you know the answer is yes when the "authority" says no? Believe no one says nn, post here, dumb question or no.
    Mike

• lsst
    16 years ago

Mike,
    Keep me posted if Webbs does send the right one as I would like to order one too, so that I will have a backup if mine cracks over time due to age. I guess I need to stock up on Pondsweep products while they can still be found.

• christianme
    16 years ago

Natteringninny,I misread your post.I jumped to the conclusion that is was a smart alec reply.Iapologize

• mgeca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lsst - now you have me worried. The ad on Webb's said for Pondsweep skimmers..Pro 900, Pro1200, 901f, 1200f. Looks like a one size fits all ad. No dimensions were to be found anywhere. I ordered and the acknowledgement said for 901/1200.

I don't know where the typo is here. I'll let you know somehow, if I can, what the outcome is. Pricey item for such a confusion.

If I knew where to start looking I'd buy another bellows gate.. If you find a site, let me know. Like you, I think it is a great skimmer but I have no experience to compare.

My cornmeal is still working--gave it another dose yesterday just because...How's your mud?

Mike

• lsst
    16 years ago

My experience has been that 901f is smaller. MikeIL knows pondsweep products. He can clarify this.

I do know that due to the typos, I did go with the Atlantic skimmer lid. I was in a local pond shop and they had the pondsweep 900 pro skimmer right there and I took the Atlantic faux lid and placed in on the pondsweep and the fit was just about right. It lacks about 1/4 inch in one corner but it works for me.

• lsst
    16 years ago

After research, I am beginning to remember why I think they are different sizes. I originally did this research 1.5 years ago.
    Below is a link to the mat sizes and it lists the different kinds. 901 and pro 900 are listed as "D" and "E" size mats respectively.

Here is a link that might be useful: 901 and 900 mats

• mgeca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lsst - it is all written in (faux) stone now. I ordered the lid when I found it on the Webb site along with a note from Webb telling me this was what I want. All I can do now is wait and see--I have no clue about "E" and "D" and 901f.

Great job painting the lid.

This is the last pond purchase (I think) for quite a while and I wanted to be done with it. Rebuild a stream, add a second high volume pump, tidy up and plant and seek help for ending this pond obsession, dial down to a normal pond tinkering compulsion.

Mike_IL has been more than generous and patient with me over the course of the project--maybe he can inform us of parts for PS.
    Mike

• lsst
    16 years ago

Mike,
    Thanks for the compliments on the pond. If you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, you are almost there. You are at the stage I was this time last year.

Every weekend and most evenings were spent working on the pond and pond plumbing and hardscape around the pond. When it got too dark to work outside, I poured over websites gaining knowledge and ordering parts.

My husband would keep on saying-I can not wait to be done so that I can come home from work and just enjoy sitting and relaxing. We are at that stage.(at least with the pond-LOL)

You will be at that stage, soon.

• mike_il
    16 years ago

There is a difference between the 900F and the pro 900. A lid for the Pro 900 would fit the 900F but not the other way around. These lids got to be way too expensive toward the end and I would think that could be the reason why they stopped making them. The price on that lid got up to $230.00 just for the lid. It was bad enough when they first came out at $150.00 for the lid. Right now ADI is still making the pro 900 so parts are available. The bellows is made the same way that they have made them for years and they have lasted for years. I have some 702F skimmers on my ponds for the 8 years and those bellows are still in good shape.
    Mike

• lsst
    16 years ago

mile il, Thanks for the info. I am especially glad to know the bellows are holding up.

• mgeca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is good news. I find that a storm of small things from some shrubs is filling my skimmer net frequently. Bunches of it are trapped on each side of the bellows in the corner of the skimmer. I manually close the bellows to clean, and everytime I look at the accordian-like section I wonder about longevity. This is good news Mike.

The lid I ordered is about $98, a far cry from those earlier prices it appears, but still enough for the confusion.

Thanks for the encouragement lsst--just what I need in the home stretch. Hardscape relates to lifting those stones. My cornmeal comment was just hardscape confusion--I used it to seal a leak in another thread.

So, we'll see who to believe--maybe only natteringninny is right-that would be rich. I will report back
    Mike

• mgeca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lsst - Webb's ad said lid for PS Pro 900. Order acknowledgement said for 901. I dropped them a line asking what was what and received the answer that the lid is for the PS Pro 900.

Full circle, the symmetry of absurdity -- isn't this thread "who do you believe?" Should be whom, but..
    Mike

• lsst
    16 years ago

Mike,
    If you do not mind, update me when you receive it. I would like to order one as a backup. That is a good price.

• mgeca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lsst - it is gray like limestone, textured on top and scalloped along the edges and made to look like layers. Heavy, made of some resin or other.

It is 34x28, much larger than the pro 900, probably to fit the pro 1200 as well? Sits solidly, does what a lid should do. The bonus is that because of the size it can be set to hang over the front of the skimmer and somewhat disguise it. Also can do same with sides.

While I had hoped for something with color, I like limestone. Presuming resin or whatever is durable, I think I got a decent deal.

I sent you an e-mail offering pictures - let me know, worse comes to worst I could try to bring my photobucket back to life.

My report - let me know what you think.
    Mike

• lsst
    16 years ago

Mike,
    Thanks for the update. My Isp blocked the e-mail and I can not access it. :(
    I am glad you got the lid. You got it at a good price.:)

• duddlydoright
    11 years ago

I have a pondsweep 702f model and was looking for a cover, any ideas as to where i might find it?