Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What 'houseplant' could be a pond plant?

Posted by lizm (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 25, 11 at 11:54

I am in New York City and am carless. I can't get to anyplace that sells water plants right now. I'm wondering if there are any plants that are readily available in a nursery selling houseplants (I have several nearby) that I could stick in my little pond at least for a day or so at a time when I have people over, to camouflage the bit of liner that remains visible in my pond.

(By the way, I've sent away for water plants but they're always in an infantile state and I have to wait the entire summer for them to get full and lush. So I don't want to do that this year.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What 'houseplant' could be a pond plant?

I think that you can use Calla lilies, especially the Zantedeschia Aethiopica variety, as well as Creeping Jenny, which does better hanging over the edge of the pond. I'm sure there are others, but those are the first ones that come to mind.

o

Pothos (Epipremnum aureum) cuttings root and grow in plain water extremely easily, so I'm sure they could go in the pond. Just need to get them acclimated to the sun.

I've got some Iresine Herbstii (green stems with hot pink variegation in the leaves) that I had gotten at Lowes once before, and it's just like the Pothos when it comes to rooting and growing in water.

I've also heard about Calla lilies, but I think they're one where you can't plant them too deep in the water.

I've seen Sweet potato vines do extremely well in a pond alongside a waterfall.

I think a purple passion vine (Gynura aurantiaca) might work in the pond, but I'm not positive about that. The blooms don't smell very good, so pull those off first before you have anyone over.

o

Mondo grass. Will grow along the edges or even totally submerged.

Society garlic, I have growing in shallow water. Calla lilies in shallow water. I've got some ferns growing along the rocks that are doing well so far.

If you can get to a pet store that sells fish and aquarium plants you can probably get some wisteria, cabomba, anarchis and such.

~dianne

o

Hosta, ajuna, chameleon plant, lysimacha (sp?) all do well in water too

o

lizm, here's an article with a list of houseplants that you can grow in water, and how to do it........

Here is a link that might be useful: Houseplants that grow in water

o

Thank you so much, corrie22.

Here's a picture of my pond with its new plants:

Here is a link that might be useful: NYCpond

o

Liz, what a nice pond. I mean it, it looks like it was meant to be there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here