Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

rocks and pond liner - problems!

Debbie Downer
12 years ago

Looking for some feedback from an experienced pond builder.

Am still in the process of finishing my pond. Still shuffling rocks around to find a good arrangement.

I had some rocks sitting on top of pond liner - moved the rocks and happened to find a tear in the liner underneath - this is heavy weight EPDM. Would the weight of the rocks have caused the tear? This particular rock didn't have a smooth flat bottom, it had some pointy parts that it was resting on.

I have carpet underlayment under the EPDM, and some leftover pieces of EPDM to put under the rocks. Shouldnt that be enough to protect it? I imagine the rocks shift around alittle due to freeze/thaw cycles.

In some parts of the pond there are really heavy thick folds of the liner - no avoiding it due to the shape of the pond. I plan to set down a really heavy stack of rocks over some of the folds - building a stack about 3 high or about 1-2 feet in height. Is that a bad idea - would the extreme weight cause the EPDM to tear or break along the folds? I was thinking of putting some foam into the folds to cushion the liner a little bit against the rocks sitting on top - would that help?

Any other tips or tricks before I proceed. Once these rocks are in place and I foam in the cracks and the backs of them they won't be moveable. THANKS

Comment (1)