Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rocks and pond liner - problems!

Posted by kashka_kat z4 WI (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 11 at 12:13

Looking for some feedback from an experienced pond builder.

Am still in the process of finishing my pond. Still shuffling rocks around to find a good arrangement.

I had some rocks sitting on top of pond liner - moved the rocks and happened to find a tear in the liner underneath - this is heavy weight EPDM. Would the weight of the rocks have caused the tear? This particular rock didn't have a smooth flat bottom, it had some pointy parts that it was resting on.

I have carpet underlayment under the EPDM, and some leftover pieces of EPDM to put under the rocks. Shouldnt that be enough to protect it? I imagine the rocks shift around alittle due to freeze/thaw cycles.

In some parts of the pond there are really heavy thick folds of the liner - no avoiding it due to the shape of the pond. I plan to set down a really heavy stack of rocks over some of the folds - building a stack about 3 high or about 1-2 feet in height. Is that a bad idea - would the extreme weight cause the EPDM to tear or break along the folds? I was thinking of putting some foam into the folds to cushion the liner a little bit against the rocks sitting on top - would that help?

Any other tips or tricks before I proceed. Once these rocks are in place and I foam in the cracks and the backs of them they won't be moveable. THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rocks and pond liner - problems!

Kashka Kat,

What type rock are you talking about? In WI you could be talking about quite a few different type rocks that would be in your area. Normally rock is not a problem for EDPM rubber liner unless you have some very sharp edges or points on it. I have put rocks that have weighed more 4000 lbs directly on the liner with no extra padding with no problems. Where you can run into problems is sliding the rock on the rubber. I have also seen 30 lb rocks put holes in the liner if they were set down carefully. That is one reason why I prefer to use Wisconsin granite cobblers as they were created by the glaciers and are mostly smooth.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here