Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bri_fl

Lotus help.... flowers anytime soon?

bri_fl
14 years ago

Hi there,

I planted a Hindu lotus tuber (this is my first one) in March and it's doing great and has a ton of leaves, some aerial & some not. My question is:I haven't had any blooms yet, is this normal? Do they usually bloom later in the summer? I fertilizer with 3 spikes every month. I am so anxious for my first lotus bloom.

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• catherinet
    14 years ago

Sometimes a newly planted tuber doesn't flower until the second year. Hopefully, you'll get a bloom shortly. Just keep fertilizing it every month. Does it get alot of sun?

• rickinla
    14 years ago

I planted mine in March and had some setbacks, so it was basically planted in April from a growing tip and 2 leaves. It is finally on track and sending up aerials starting a week ago. I noticed a bloom shoot coming up yesterday, so hopefully your's will be blooming soon. My lotus gets full south Alabama sun, planted in a natural pond.

• drh1
    14 years ago

We won't see any blooms until late in the summer usually August or so. Given this year has been running on the cool side we may be delayed even further. But so far we've had at least one bloom and sometimes three every year for the past seven years (see picture below). So I'd not get too worried yet.
    ---David

Here is a link that might be useful:

• missa7
    14 years ago

Mine seems to be doing the opposite.
    I don't have alot of leaves but have already had 3 blooms.

• bri_fl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG that bloom pic is gorgeous. I'm definitely a newbie so I thought I would get blooms this year. It definitely gets all day full FL sun. I heard somewhere to look for very thick aerial stems and these can be bud stems.Thank for your encouragement! I will post pics if it blooms!

• rickinla
    14 years ago

Here's the bloom coming up on my lotus in the pond, you can see it under the leaf on the right. Forgive the cage, I have to protect it from turtles.
    {{gwi:207493}}

• rickinla
    14 years ago

Here's a close up of the bloom.
    {{gwi:207494}}

• bri_fl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, That's alot smaller than I thought it would be to bloom. I have about 35 leaves on mine. ]Very cute though, you must be excited for the bloom to open.This is mine from several weeks ago, it's about 2X the size now. {{gwi:207495}}

• rickinla
    14 years ago

I was surprised to find a bloom so soon after the aerials. The turtles cut a few stems that extended out of the cage but the tuber must have kept growing and I suspect that it is about 4'-5' long based on where the leaves are coming up. Our temps are similar and the lotus are about the same age, so I would keep my eyes open for your blooms to start soon.

• John_Phan
    12 years ago

Does anyone have any hindu tubers or other variance that I can buy, I have a pond that is about 3 feet deep, and I want to set it at the bottom. Anything that can go up to 6 feet.

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Mine just finished,It was suppose to be red it was the most beautiful flowera beige color with peachy pink.gorgeous thios is 2nd year,now do they only produce 1 flower a year?

• catherinet
    12 years ago

It depends on a number of things......what size pot is it in? How often do you fertilize it? It should be making at least several blossoms every year. They really need a fertilizer with lots of phosphorus in it.

• Michaelb0821
    10 years ago

I gave my cousin, who lives in a very hot central TX, a lotus for her large koi pond about 5 yrs ago. (she gets full sun at the pond) She has had beautiful foliage for years, but no blooms. They multiply like crazy and have been divided. I checked this site and advised her to fertilize more. No blooms yet. We have experimented with different depths in the pond several pots. This year I told her to "over" fertilize to see what happens.(3 stakes per plant every 2wks)...so far....more beautiful foliage. The regular water lilies are doing great and blooming very well.

My Thai friend who grew lotus from seed and for sale had told me about fertilizing....she had blooming lotus in shallow ponds, lotus bowls, and 3 gal buckets all over the yard...all blooming and I know she did not fret this much to get them to bloom.

Any ideas?

Out of some frustration we threw some left over tubers in a cow pond just to see what will happen...will keep you posted.