Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

2 Koi on bottom of pond

ademink
10 years ago

Ok...so I won't even BEGIN to go into all of the ridiculous pond drama I've had this year....lol...I'll just address the most recent.

Pond overview: 17,500ish gallons. Expensive to treat....impossible to catch anyone w/o draining the pond down to neverneverland.

Issue: 2 koi...approx 12"....."Shark" and "Spectacles".

Shark: Got hammered in the gill plate by a @#)$(*#)($* heron who ate about 15 other fish. I love him. The wound became pretty bad, looked ulcerated and he showed signs of major septicemia...streaky BRIGHT red fins.

Enter...Medi-Koi. I love it. He has been on Medi-Koi for 7 days now, Septicemia gone...holes in fins healed...wound on the gill plate looking MUCH better...though not totally healed. (If you don't have it...get it and keep it in your emergency stock).

Shark's issue (which is also Spectacle's issue): Both swim fine, eat very well and Spectacles looks perfect. However, they both will stop and lay on the bottom of the pond. Shark always goes to the same spot and Spectacles will just suddenly stop wherever and lay. Fins are *not* clamped....they are spread out...just laying.

Treated last week w/ Prazi but in retrospect I think I only treated for 15,000 gallons. What is the margin of error on that $tuff?

Is this an internal parasite issue and did I just underdose? What do I do now? Is there really a Santa Claus?

Andrea

Comments (8)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

Oh darlin', how stressful for you and the fish. I thought about lots of woo-woo that could be going on but do you suppose they are hiding in plain sight when they see what they think might be a threat? Or perhaps Shark just still needs a rest once in awhile in a spot he thinks is safe and Spectacles is commiserating?

Prazi is pretty potent stuff. Do the math again to eliminate all the stuff in the pond. It may be closer to accurate than you think. If nothing else it will keep you busy and not obsessing. I needed to use it only once and remember being a nervous wreck about getting it right but it worked like a charm. Now after all the warnings they used to put out, they say it is gentle and you don't have to repeat it. Guess it has been a long time since I used it for the pond.

I'm not sure why you used it though. Do you know for sure they had parasites or was it prophylactic? If that was it then a lower dosage might have been called for anyhow. Since I'm not a Vet I'm probably just blowing smoke.

There are so many newbies here. Maybe it is time for a discussion about Praziquantel. I know I needed a refresher. I attached a link signed by Dr. Johnson.

Here is a link that might be useful: tips on using Praziquantel.

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hiiiii my friend! :) There were a few fish flashing and I also read somewhere (bazillions of websites somewhere in there lol) that laying on the floor of the pond like that indicates internal parasites. Good lord, I don't even know any more!!!

I read Dr. J's take on it and he seems to indicate that it IS safe and easy. Doesn't say anything about underdosing though.

FUN. lol

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

Whether or not the Prazi was an underdose is pretty much questionable at this point. You will have to keep an eye out to see if he stops eating/eats too much and starts to lose weight while getting a big waist. (sigh...that is essentially the information I read)Then you might have a fish with worms. I read in one blog that even Prazi can't kill them if they escaped the intestine and are still in the body cavity. Gahhh...As expensive as Prazi is, I would definitely try to set up a hospital tank and catch him if he doesn't perk up pretty soon.

My concern is with the Medi-koi. I seem to remember needing to use it for two full weeks. Have the instructions changed? or did I misread what you said? It would be pretty hard to take a temperature and the infection could still be working inside. Can you tell if the gills are too red? Try approaching the pond so your shadow doesn't hit the water. Maybe it is just a fear reaction.

I really wish I could help.

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The thing w/ treating him and not the whole pond is that I'm sure they are in the pond somewhere...eggs...something. I'd rather just treat the whole pond...no Christmas this year. LOL

I'm totally grossed out by the fish with worms. STOP GOOGLING> rofl!

As for the fear/shadow...definitely not that. They are friendly and happy as can be...flying around and eating and suddenly....screeech...resting time. It's freakin weird.

Not 100% sure on your Medi-Koi concern. He had been on it for 7 days but yes...I will dose for 10-14. I was just saying he had been on it for 7 days so far.

Ok...got more info. Talked to a fish hatchery guy and he said I should've dosed 2x...one week apart to kill the eggs that hatched. Makes sense. I also saw a fish with 2 anchor worms today. I don't know where this madness is coming from - it's like the 12 plagues!

TOMORROW: massive water change...Dimilin and Prazi dose. One week from now...round 2. I will not lose to the flukes, worms and heron!

• ademink
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandy.....................OXYGEN. For the love of all that's sacred...it was low freakin' oxygen levels!!!!!!!!

It hit me this morning...WHY were there all large koi that seemed to be laying on the bottom and why in the corner under the falls? The little fish were fine. HELLOOOI took a pump, attached a six foot piece of pvc to it and turned it on in the pond to create a geyser. I have a whole new pond of fish tonight!!! Swimming around, wild and happy as they used to be. I"M SO RELIEVED....duh...so stupid. lol

• darla84
    10 years ago

Yay.. Happy Healthy fish...

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

OH, what a relief! Without the injury and treatment it is probably one of the first things you would have ticked off your list. Its also a big relief that there is nothing threatening the health of all the fish and I'm sure your budget won't be showing a strain. I sure wouldn't have guessed since it hasn't been that hot.

Are you going to stick with the fountain or look into an aerator? My poor little 1000gal. puddle couldn't handle a fountain, I think, while yours could likely handle it just fine. I kind of like the way the bubbles look and the fish certainly enjoy playing in them. I wish my house was not a disaster from flooding when the plumbing exploded and water from the drain flooded back into the basement. I had thought I might have time to work on the waterfall a bit more this summer. Everything in the basement, master bedroom and bath destroyed. Now all I can do is hope nothing more happens to make life exciting.

I'm really pleased and happy for you and the fishies.

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

well, happy for you and your fish!