Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumognat

New 50g pond in SE FL...fish & plant suggestions?

sumognat
13 years ago

Hi,

My SO just installed a new in-ground pond in our SE FL backyard and we are hoping someone can help point us in the right direction with choosing plants and fish.

Pond Info:

The pond is 50 gallons and one of those pre-formed pond liners that can be found at the big box stores. It is already in the ground and we are in the process of installing the pond edging. My SO wants to build his own filter for the pond, so he is still brainstorming the easiest way to construct it. He plans to add a waterfall and a submersible pump will be added.

The pond will not receive sun until the mid-afternoon and probably another 4-5 hours afterwards in the summer. For the most part, the pond will receive a good deal of shade. There are no trees around it, save for a clump of areca palms about 6-8 feet away.

Fish Dilemma:

I am not crazy about the idea of having fish, if it involves a lot of work (we already have enough animals to take care of :)). SO would like some goldfish, but we are in disagreement as to whether our pond is big enough for 1-2 sarasa/comet gold fish. I don't want to re-home or euthanize fish that grow to be too big for the pond. Small mosquito fish are a possibility, but I am worried about 2 fish turning into a population of 200. I am thinking that 1 betta fish might not be a bad idea and easy to maintain. Also, since the pond is not so deep, I am thinking it might be difficult to have goldfish in our weather, since I can see the water temperature rising into the mid-80s mid-day; conversely it may get too cold for tropicals in the winter (like bettas). As you can see, I think we would really benefit from the advice of more experienced pond keepers. :)

Also, can anyone suggest pond plants suitable to a 50g pond?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments (18)

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

since your pond is so small and is located in Southern Florida, I would really not put fish in there. Goldfish need 50 gallons each so right away, you should rule out golfish. A betta might work, but your pond temperature will probably get too warm for them to be comfortable. I thik I'd probably just put some mosquito dunks in it to keep the bugs under control and stick with plants only.

• nkm56
    13 years ago

I could either go with a pair of mosquito fish (you have a 50/50 chance of getting the same sex), or a betta, or perhaps even a pair of platies or swords. The platies and swords will eat their young, so you should not see any increase in population.

With some shade, perhaps helped by a taro or umbrella plant, I think the betta or any tropical fish would be okay in the summer, but you might have to bring them indoors during the winter if the water temps fall below 70. Considering how short your winters are there, it would not be for a very long time. If your winters are not severe, you could also try putting in a submersible aquarium heater, as long as you have a GFCI.

A betta will definitely clean up the mosquito larvae for you, since they absolutely LOVE live food. Whatever fish you choose, you will probably need to supliment their diet, though, because there will not always be larvae available in the water.

I've kept a betta in my patio lily pots, moving him from one pot to the next, and he did an excellent job of cleaning up the mosquito larvae, and seemed quite content. But when I brought him inside for the winter, he refused to eat the betta bites, and I had to get frozen brine shrimp for him.

• nkm56
    13 years ago

Oops, I just saw the part of your message where you mention a waterfall and filter. Bettas do not like moving water; they prefer still pools.

With a pond the size of yours and with a filter and waterfall, I don't think you will have a mosquito problem at all, so I'm going to agree wtih ccoombs1 and suggest just a pond with plants. There are all kinds of plants you can put in a pond like that, including taro, umbrella palms, aquatic iris, arrowhead, arum, pickerel, etc.

• lithium1330
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback - I'm the SO. At any rate, I've been doing research on how to stock this relatively small pond. In my research, I've come across various "guidance", from one inch of fish per sq ft of pond surface, to one inch of fish per 3gal of water. Obviously, shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet and maintaining fish/pond is more art than science.

ccoombs - would you elaborate the rationale for one fish per 50gal of water. I assume (rightly or not) size of the fish (room to swim around) and among of waste (bigger fish naturally puts more garbage) would dictate how many fish one could stock in a pond of given size. Sorry if I'm asking dumb question... just trying to learn along the way. And why wouldn't I want to keep fish in this particular pond if I'm located in S. FL?

Thanks!

• garyfla_gw
    13 years ago

Hi
    I'm rather stumped on what to recommend due to the size of the pond.lol All the plants mentioned would outgrow it in a single season . Maybe some "aquarium" type plants ?? Another aspect to consider is that fish in such a small area will be manna from heaven for herons and egrets. Due to the summer heat and size considerations some guppies would be about the only choice. Now if the pool is on a screened lanai ??
    A Betta would be a very poor choice even if you only considered winter. They can't tolerate temps below 65
    Gold fish get far too big very quickly not to mention they'll get lost in the plants lol
    That size would make an excellant "marsh" garden for aquatic taro, or many types of tropical plants. particularly located in the shade. But even the small ones would quickly over run the surface . Won't be much room left for fish . BTW Plants are a hundred times more maintenence than the fish most due to growth rates lol
    I certainly wouldn't think of "usual" water plants for such a small area. good luck with whatever you decide!!!
    gary

• mammasue
    13 years ago

There are miniature versions of some plants for example:

Water lilies, snowflake, and floating hearts. These all bloom.

I googled and found this article. Maybe it will be helpful.

http://encyclopediaofwaterplants.com/index_files/Water_Plants_For_Tub_Whiskey_Barrel.htm

• BadBob51
    10 years ago

I keep guppies in a 110 gallon stock tank in my garden in Tallahassee Florida. They get full sun for several hours a day and surface water temperatures near 100 degrees. There is no filter, heater, aireation of any kind. I feed them a little each evening so I can get a good look at them but there is plenty for them to eat growing in the tank. I put five large females in the tank in May. Today there are probably 200 guppies.

I've had guppies survive water temperatures as low as 48 degrees. However, I don't recommend doing this because most of them will die at these temperatures.

Go to the pet store and get a few guppies and put them in your pond. Feeder guppies are cheap. You might get them for less than 10 cents each. If it gets to cold for them you can either catch a few to keep indoors until spring or just get new ones every spring.

The guppies colors really pop when you put them outside. Within 24 hours of putting them out side I see a big change in the colors.

Here is a video from last spring.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY1gqOHVjDI

• chas045
    10 years ago

That 50 gal per goldfish has to be incorrect. I don't suppose you could actually KEEP a goldfish with a ping pong ball in a palm held vase from the Fair, but that's a far cry from 50 gallons. I think I would be more worried about the extreme Fl heat in a shallow pond. Perhaps the shade would help. Gold fish eat their young (or something else does) because most of the young disappear and they don't outgrow their surroundings either.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Since this is such an old post curious as to what you picked and how it worked out?? gary

• sumognat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,

Wow--talk about a zombie thread! :D

I found Rosy Red Fathead Minnows at my local Petco; they were in the feeder fish section, next to the feeder goldfish. I bought 5 a long time ago. Some disappeared (eaten by other animals, who knows?) and then I bought 5 more almost a year ago. I think I still have some in there right now, but I haven't checked lately. :)

I can wholeheartedly recommend using fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas). They are active, social fish and don't proliferate like guppies. They also don't get very big (about 2" max) and they are cold tolerant, so I don't have to worry if the temps get very low in the winter.

Thanks for continuing to add comments! :)

• chas045
    10 years ago

Thanks gary!, I totally missed that this was a 2010 thread. They WERE both June.

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

I just wondered.....do you have a problem with snakes? My parent's live near Ocala and their neighbor had a real problem with snakes in their pond.

• sumognat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Frankie,

Even though my neighborhood is fairly urban, I do have snakes coming and going--mostly black racers and garter snakes. I don't consider them a problem because there are also a fair amount of rats and mice in my neighborhood. They also tend to eat lizards and other bugs in my yard. If anything is a threat to the fish in the pond, it would probably be the frogs that love to hang out in there, as well as the occasional raccoon that finds its way into my yard.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    i also live in se florida (palm beach). remember when I first started my first pond in 82 a neighbor told me you couldn't have a pond in south florida because"You'd be up to your elbows in snakes, alligators and mosquitoes Of all the problems over the years these 3 have never even appeared let alone become a problem lol most serious have been Herons, cane toads, dogs and let's not forget small boys lol I kept mostly tropical fish until the winter of 09 which wiped them out entirely so returned to GF. Interestingly none of the above have yet to be a problem
    last year had a complete wipe out of the water hyacinth
    which is over 30 years old!! haven't figured that out yet . Any ideas?? gary

• User
    10 years ago

Gary,
    You live in Florida, could a possible fly over spray for pests, sometimes mosquitos, have killed your water hyacinth? Just a thought.
    Seems weird after 30 years for it to suddenly die like that all at one time, as if someone poisoned it, and sometimes they spray for things from the air.
    Look online to see if they had any sprays in your area last year about the time you noticed it dying.

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    Have heard that the state is using some type of bacteria
    to combat WH since it's sooo invasive.. From what I gather it's spread by contact and is not airborne . Have noted a sharp decline in nearby canals where i got the original stock. Actually it's against the law to culture it in fllorida so i guess i'd better not complain?? lol
    Whatever the cause it's affected only WH . Have always found it the most effective plant for filtration and makes a great mulch for terrestrials lol.
    There are many alternatives BUT many of them are also "Noxious weeds" lol
    Think I'll do without the "floaters for awhile to see what happens . My lone tropical water llily has covered the entire surface anyway Thanks gary

• wellingtoncdm
    9 years ago

Gary did you ever raise guppies in your pond? I'm wondering of they will be ok in west palm winters.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    Depends on the winter ?? I kept Swordtails/platies several types of barbs /tetras and danios . for several years . Winter of 09 killed them all Have since went to GF
    and Rosy reds have never tried guppies but would probably make it through the 40's ?? Very small fish for a pond?? gary