Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_go

Larger ponds� same rules?

We are planning to dig a pond on our property and the estimated capacity is between 13,000 and 17, 000 gallons. I have been reading this and other websites on pond equipment and it seems like all agree that all pond water should go through the filter at least once within 1 or 2 hours, that is a huge and expensive pump I would need to meet this requirement! Is that really that critical that all water should be recycled at least once within an hour? Our pond will be in partial shade (5-6 hours of sun and then afternoon shade), no kois (maybe, a 5-6 goldfish to keep waterbugs in check), water plants.

Can you advise please, what pump will I need?

Comments (3)

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

I have a 160 gal pond so I have no advice for you, but I did get a notice from our local pond store that PondMaster is having a mail-in rebate offer from now to June 30, so be sure to check that out if you do get a PondMaster pump (or pumps).

I threw in the word pumps because I know some people have multiple pumps rather than just one humungous one.

• tinfoilhat
    11 years ago

I've got a large concrete pond I built about 20 years ago, way before I ever read about what I should have for water circulation I have never filled it through a meter and it has different slopes and terraces in it so it's hard to calculate volume. It is a dogleg about 90 x 35 x 6' max depth. I'm guessing somewhere between 80 and 100 thousand.

{{gwi:130760}}
    Pond continues to right where I have 3 large bio filters that waterfall back into pond.

I've got 1-2hp and 2-3hp Max-E-Glas II pool pumps. Those were about 150-180 gpm each pumps when they were brand new giving me a 100% turn over every 3-4 hours. Over the years I have put in a manifold that lets me run all of the drains though any single pump or combination of pumps I chose. I've been running just one pump 24/7 for years and I really haven't noticed a difference in water quality versus running all three.
    I swim in my pond and I'm able to sweep and vacuum it when I desire. I have 3 large combination sand/gravel basins heavily planted I use for bio filters and a large pool cartridge filter. The bio filters are small ponds themselves and pretty to look at. The mechanical filter is only used a day or two to polish water if I'm having a party.
    Pond is in full AZ sun all day. I have fish, frogs, toads and various bugs in pond and bio filters. Sometimes even ducks. I use to curse and jump up and down when herons, hawks, owls and assorted 4-legged critters ate my fish (still do when they get a big one) but I've come to see that mother nature is just helping me keep things balanced.
    There are a lot of variables to ponds when it comes to keeping them clean, I'm just pointing out what has worked for me. I think a large bio filtration basin built into your pond would allow you to get away with a longer recycle time. My suggestion is put a lot of thought in piping, bottom drains, skimmers, and a LARGE built in/on planted bio filter. With a little extra piping you could put in a manifold and add a 2nd pump in the future if you needed help with a seasonal/temporary algae or fish population problems.
    All that said, I built this back in my "If some's good, more's better" days. Concrete was $50/yd. I got all 3 pumps for $500, the price of just one today and I could run all 3 pumps for what it cost me to run one today.
    I'm 20 years older now and wish this was a whole lot smaller.

• annedickinson
    11 years ago

Holy Cow Tinfoilhat!!! That is one beautiful pond!