Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohiopond4me

My walmart lily,,,

ohiopond4me
15 years ago

Here is my walmart lily I bought this year, she is in my 90 gallon pond out front, and is my first bloomer this year, very pretty, had to share

{{gwi:208423}}

Comments (40)

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Very pretty!
    I've had fairly good luck with their lilies, as long as I bought them early in the season.
    Is that "attraction"?
    Very nice!

• ohiopond4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am thinkin that is what the container said,,now I wish I would have kept it or wrote it down, my sister was over today and asked me where I got that plastic lily from, she thought it was fake!!

• magdaloonie
    15 years ago

Nice! Both my walmart lilies have pads up now. I don't know if they'll bloom this year but it's nice to know they might. (like your $4.70 fountain, too!).
    Vanessa

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Ohiopond4me,
    I'm thinking the only pink/red lilies I've seen at Walmart for a few years have been "attraction".
    Believe it or not, they are still trying to sell them, so you might look again the next time you go. I'll check here to, if I'm in the store.

• tmyers
    15 years ago

My first Lily was a Walmart pink attraction. This my seond season with it. I re-potted it this spring and it is doing great. It is about to bloom. If you can get them cheap....why not?

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Newbie here...WOW! I didn't know you can buy water lilies at Wally World!!! Sheesh! My friend just moved and gave me a lily that has this big side thing/new plant, can I cut it off and make it 2 plants? It has it's own roots, they are all bear and nowhere near the "mother" plant.

• lefd05
    15 years ago

Congratulations! Its pretty and does look like Attraction.
    Its a good bloomer and once established it will give you really large blooms.:)

• sunderella
    15 years ago

I wish my Walmart would carry pond stuff :(

• mybusyfamily6
    15 years ago

I also found some at our local fred meyers.. hidden around a dead end corner outside, they had all sorts of pond plants..

• ohiopond4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For our area, walmart is about the besy place to buy lilies, all the nurseries here dont seem to have any clue, an they are all new to water plants, and there prices are unbelievable, when I paid something like 6 bucks for this one, they are wanting 17.99-26.99,,yikes! and I have also had good luck with there 3 plants in a box for 10 bucks.

• pikecoe
    15 years ago

sundrella Lowe's and Home Depot carries them also. If you have one of those. Glena

• lefd05
    15 years ago

$19-$50.00 is not uncommon for lilies even from mail order sources. That's going to be a full sized mature blooming plant, not the small tuber you get from the Walmart/Lowes/HD packaged plants.
    I've bought the walmart lilies too but I've also bought more expensive ones because I wanted to be sure that I was getting the named lily I wanted.:)
    The two nurseries here that sell pond plants sell lilies for $29.99 each. You get a potted mature blooming plant for that price.

• sunderella
    15 years ago

Glena,

Our Lowe's only carry a couple and when they are gone they do not bring anymore in. So I have been getting my plants here lately from Boonies Plants, kinda pricey but good service and nice plants.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I got a walmart lilly a couple of months ago and it was moldy. I should have taken it back but I stuck it in the pond hoping for the best. All I have seen is the string and the plastic flower that came with it, lol. Yours is very beautiful.

• swiss_apls_tx
    15 years ago

I was skeptical to see Lilies at Walmart but was eager to try at such a reasonable price. I bought Fabiola, Colorado,Sulphurea and Attraction. I remembered the warning of others here not to just toss them in but take them out of the bag and plant them. So I got the Oil pans and kitty litter and Pea gravel. Even if I just got the lily pads I would be happy. I was thrilled to see the most perfect blooms and rather quickly. They beat last year's lilies blooming first.
    {{gwi:208426}}
    {{gwi:208427}}
    {{gwi:208429}}
    {{gwi:208431}}
    I am so surprised and very pleased with these beauties. I used the Pond Tabs and will continue every 3-4 weeks. This was especially rewarding after loosing my Originals to the Duck-Destruction Party. Fortunately the Ducks never noticed the Upsairs to the Goldfish Condo and those Lilies were spared.

• gknee_50
    15 years ago

Swiss apls tx.....can you tell me where you buy your pond tabs for your water lilies....they are beaufiful!

Thanks,
    Jeanne

• lilycrazy
    15 years ago

I buy Wally Lilies every yr- I pretty much treat em as annuals for the most part- I take care of them like any other plants but sometimes they don't return as well- then I pitch am and get a new one- they're usually under 10 bucks here and that's pretty darn cheap !!

• catherinet
    15 years ago

fool4flowers..........Do you still have the receipt? I have heard that the company that makes them is very good about replacing/refunding, so why don't you write to them? I still have the container, if you need the name.
    I think I'm going to have to do that for the black gamecock iris I bought from Walmart. It only had one sickly little stem that isn't doing anything.

Kathy.......while I have you here.........I'm still thinking about the solar pump. That model you have I'm finding varies quite a bit in cost. One place sells it for $99, but only guarantees it for 1 year. another place sells it for about $160, but guarantees for 2 years. Where did you get your's? (the 290M model).

I think the secret to the Walmart lilies, is looking under that plastic dome and making sure it has green growing leaves, and not mold.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I knew nothing about water lillies when I bought it and still don't know much, lol. Now I know better. I probably do have the reciept if I dig around in my purse. Unless I threw it away the other day I may even still have the pot. I only had my pond one day when I bought it, lol. I guess its worth a try, the ones you all are posting are beautiful. I got a 100 gallon pond yesterday. I wish I had known what to do when I bought it but considering the mold it probably wouldn't have done anything anyway. I have been looking all over for those pond basket things and they don't sell them anywhere around here. I will check on the oil pans. Maybe I can get some cheap since we have a mechanic shop, lol.

• mycatsbc
    15 years ago

I bought a calalily from walmart and it has rotted on me. I really wanted a calalily for my pond.

Had luck with there lilies and other things over the years, should have kept reciept.

• swiss_apls_tx
    15 years ago

Catherinet: I had Midway Water Gardens research and order the Solar pumps for me so I'm not going to be of any help to you. Wow what a difference in pricing. Good Luck! I really do like mine. Since the Ducks got into the "downstairs" stocktank I need to go back to Wal-Mart for more Lilies. It's not in my town so it's a little inconvenient and I hate to leave here. I didn't know to look under the lid to see if it was viable or moldy before I bought. One was mold and I didn't know to take it back either. Live and Learn! The three blooming are perfect beauties. The other thing I learned was to use a marking pen to write their names on the underside of the floating marker. The colored plastic flower identifiers faded so much I can't tell them apart except the yellow one.

• howelll
    15 years ago

i bought all mine at walmart they were doing good and had some buds but then the buds never came out one is still under the water the other one just vanished down there, i would like to know what happened? does anyonw know what happened?, anyhow this is a sioux i got from them it has like 3 more smaller plants in the same rhizome so just wondering if thats what actually happened

• catherinet
    15 years ago

howe111, did you repot all of them before putting them in your pond?

• howelll
    15 years ago

catherinet i kinda did i didnt have another pots so i put them in a 1 liter pot so that was pretty much all i did the another bud that is coming is from my sulphurea and it seems kinda good its sort of getting bigger down there but it still has like 5 days under the water, after i saw them i moved them to a place where they can get more sun because they were barely getting 4 hours or so, what do you think it can be can i still repot them or divide them
    im sorry im so new with this
    thanks catherinet

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Did they come in a mesh bag and did you leave them in there and just set it in another pot? Did you add soil? How far under the water's surface are they? They definitely could use more sun.....at least 6 hours.
    They are pretty durable, so I think it would be find to gently repot them, if they need that. They tend to like shallow, but bigger pots so they can really spready out. You also need to fertilize them every month.
    Don't apologize! We've all been there!

• howelll
    15 years ago

as a matter of a dumb fact i did, i left the sioux in that mesh bag because i didnt see it had more growing tips, they are maybe 25" from the surface of the water, i change the sulphurea to a big container it holds up to 60 liters, and i fertilized them with some sticks that were 6-12-6 is that good or no?

• catherinet
    15 years ago

howe111, (how do you get those 111's so close together??) haha
    You should always remove those lily tubers from the mesh bag and plant them in plain dirt. Some people here plant them in gravel or kitty litter. I know the instructions say to just drop them in the pond, but I think they don't do well.
    25" is fine for the depth. 60 liters is pretty big (around 15 gallons, right?) Its okay......its just that when you need to lift it out of the pond to thin it, you might not be able to!
    I have mine in a 28 liter container and its pretty heavy. These lilies need to be thinned every year or 2, or they will get too crowded, and then not make blossoms.
    The fertilizer I use is about 8-14-8, but I just bought some that's 8-24-8, so you could go higher on the middle number. That will help you get lots of blooms. And be careful to try to miss putting the fertilizer tablet too close to the tuber/roots, because it can burn it, and then it turns the leaves brown......so put the tabs further out in the container.
    And if you're wondering how to fertilize them when they are so far down in the pond, get about a 4-5' piece of 1" PVC pipe. Then get a thinner bamboo stake. Put the PVC pipe on the soil of the lily where you want the tablet to go in, insert the tablet, and then put the bamboo stake through the PVC pipe and push the tablet into the soil about an inch or so. This makes fertilizing alot easier!

• howelll
    15 years ago

first that is because those are (LLL) lll's not 111's haha its different see, and thanks and so that means to go 'head and take the mesh bag away and put them in dirt, and well fertilizing isnt bad i like to get in the pond and do it hahahaha, dont tell anyone, thats so refreshing here the weather is so warm i think im bruning haha, so then what do you think?, plant them in a bigger pot?, with dirt and do all that ok so ill go higher with the phosfate part thats the middle haha
    and thanks so much i will show you some pics so youll see what happens

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Hi howelll.......see, my lower case L's are just as far apart as my 1's!
    You need to be very careful that there aren't alot of roots growing through the mesh bag. You might have to gently and carefully cut the mesh bag away, being careful not to cut any roots. If you think there are too many roots growing out of the mesh bag, then I would just leave it alone and plant it all in soil.
    Just be careful to not plant the crown of the tuber below the soil line. one thing I didn't mention (oops), is that these lilies prefer long or wide, but shallow containers. My container is 18" in diameter and only about 8" deep. Some people here use even shallower, rectangular pots.
    Good luck and I look forward to pics. It shouldn't take them long to make blossoms, once they get planted and fertilized.

• howelll
    15 years ago

ok ill do it ill follow your instructions, another question how long dows it take for a bud to bloom?, mine have like a week and is still down there the only thing i see is that is getting bigger, is that normal

• catherinet
    15 years ago

It depends on how much nourishment they are getting, how much sun, the temperature, etc. They have to come to the surface first, and then it takes a couple days. Hardy lily blossoms last 3 days, and then they're done.
    How big is your pond Howelll?

• howelll
    15 years ago

ok well i hope they come to the surface soon haha, well my pond i guess is about 300 gallons so its small thats why i dont have lots of fishes i just have 2 koi and thats it, does you tropical lilies survivie where you live?
    because i want a tina and where i live never frozes and winter gets above 40's so can it survive here

• catherinet
    15 years ago

I have 2 lilies in a 300 gallon tank and its almost 2 small for 2.
    I have 3 tropical lilies, but they don't survive over the winter, so I have to treat them like annuals.
    I don't have fish.......but another thing you might have to be concerned about, is the fish rooting into your lily containers, and disrupting the roots, etc.

• howelll
    15 years ago

i repoted my lily hope it grows more now, i was reading that sometimes if they stay in the mesh bag it can kill them by asfixing them is that true?, well my koi never go to the place where i have my lilies but they do go to where ive got the elodea and eat it, or something or sometimes i just find big pieces of this floating in the pond

• bagardens (Ohio, Zone 5b)
    15 years ago

I also bought the same water lily from walmart. I was really surprised how well it has done. In fact I believe it is doing much better than my other more expensive lily. This is only the second year that I have had it and it already has had at least 5 buds. I believe last year it bloomed at least twice.
    I made sure when I bought it that I got one that had nice looking visible green leaves on it. I believe that I did not take it out of the mesh bag and just through it in the pond although I have an natural pond so the I believe rots were able to grow into the bottom of the pond on their own.

{{gwi:208433}}

I wish I had a better picture of the flower when it is fully open but it seems like whenever I get home from work I notice that it is completely open and I rush inside to get my camera and by the time I get back out it is already closing. The crazy thing is driving me nuts! Sorry about all the scum but our pond needs lots of help.

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Hi bagardens,
    I think you're on to something there about them saying to leave it in the mesh bag. Maybe they assume we're all using them in natural ponds, where they have more to grab onto.
    The blossoms do seem to close fairly quickly in the afternoon. I guess you're going to have to get the more open pics of them on your days off! I'm waiting for my tropical night-blooming lily to bloom. I've heard they open in the afternoon and stay open all night. Maybe that's what you need to get, so they will be open in the evenings, when you're home. But you'd have to put them in a container, and treat them as annuals in zone 5.

• javern
    15 years ago

I've had good luck with Wal Mart water lily, the store here has them on closeout for $1.50

• catherinet
    15 years ago

Wow.....$1.50.......that's good, unless they are dead! I bought a gamecock iris several weeks ago, and I'm thinking its terminal. One little sprout from it, and I'm not sure its going to make it.
    Are you buying any of those $1.50 ones? I'm be interested in hearing if they make it or not. Maybe Walmart's next move is to dump out the dead plants, and sell the containers for $.75. haha

• howelll
    15 years ago

catherinet my lily is almost blooming or i guess because the flower raise itself almost to the surface but i guess it us bad because it is opening under the surface of the water

• javern
    15 years ago

I bought 4, hopefully they will grow

" * Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 17:53

Wow.....$1.50.......that's good, unless they are dead! I bought a gamecock iris several weeks ago, and I'm thinking its terminal. One little sprout from it, and I'm not sure its going to make it.
    Are you buying any of those $1.50 ones? I'm be interested in hearing if they make it or not. Maybe Walmart's next move is to dump out the dead plants, and sell the containers for $.75. haha"