Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basilbirdbird

Immaculate-FISH-ception!

basilbird
12 years ago

Well... I've heard of this happening to people but it's a first time for me!

I have six cement mixing troughs in the front yard filled with water and a few plants. The idea was to create a little place for frogs and toads to lay eggs that would be safer than the pond (where the goldies invariably eat them). It's worked well too... at least two little frogs (cute as buttons) are living there and almost certainly grew there.

Saturday I was looking for tadpoles (having seen frogs) and in the murky, brown, unfiltered water I saw.... something! I figured it had to be a tadpole. I **convinced** myself it was a tadpole. Then I threw some fish food in and discovered 5 little fish! Definitely fish... no question they're fish.

So what do I do now? The troughs are south facing with FULL sunlight all day. They are black and set at a slight angle with less than 4 inches of water in them! There is no filtration and no easy way to provide it. The fish are too small to put in the pond proper.

I added a small bubbler and also stacked some white trays to offer *some* relief from the heat. It's been cool and rainy for the past two weeks but it's hot today.

Should I set up a fish tank in the house? I'd be heartbroken if I took them out and they died in a tank. I figure it will be another two weeks before they are big enough to introduce to the pond. Even then.. the water they are in is so warm and dirty.. how will I acclimate them to the pond water?

I'm fairly sure the other troughs don't have any fish in them. Nothing ate the fish food I sprinkled in there. These five little guys must have arrived as eggs on the duckweed I washed off some recent online plant purchases and then threw into the troughs. I'd be happy if they are just goldies but there's a chance they could be koi. Either way.. I'd like to give them the best chance possible (I don't have any new fish in the pond proper yet).

Advice?

BasilB

Comments (4)

• vieja_gw
    12 years ago

Isn't it so strange how these things just happen?!! We have a small preform pond with a few goldies. We also have rainwater(haven't had any of THAT for over a year here though!) collection barrels under the eaves of the house & at least 40 ft. x the pond. One time I just went to see how much rainwater was still in the barrels & I saw a goldfish swimming in the barrel!! How did it get there?? Some suggested a bird may have gotten some eggs on their feet as they often bathe in the pond, gone up on the roof, eggs on their feathers or feet dropped into the barrel... hatched... ?? Anyway, I retrieved the fish & put it in the pond with the others & we call it 'Roswell' because of the alien connection there as someone on the Pond Forum joked & said the aliens were responsible!! Still haven't figured it out!

• KaraLynn
    12 years ago

I recently found some baby goldfish in a holding pot I keep for much the same reason as you. The holding pot has plants but no filtration and is in full sun and the water is very warm. I went out and bought a fish tank just for them and now the fish are as happy as can be in my spare room. The little cuties even line up at the front of the tank and beg everytime I enter the room, the same way the big fish in the pond beg everytime I pass the pond!

• erniem
    12 years ago

The second year I had my ponds I found dozens what turned out to be baby koi swimming about in a pond I only kept plants in. OK, I had 2 koi in the pond next to that and perhaps eggs got moved with some plants.

Then the next year I found 3 fish there who's species I cannot identify! Did they come on plants I bought from Florida shipped UPS to me in NY?

I still have some of these fish going strong in a tank in the house. I call them all "Jesus fish" cause obviously Jesus thought I needed more fish and gave them to me.

He also keeps giving me kittens. Now I'm up to three of those.

• basilbird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love these stories!

I decided to set up my stock tank last night and only put about 5 inches of water in it. It rain a bit and I intend to put some water form the pond and the other troughs on Friday (supposed to be cool-ish until the weekend). I figure they'll be safe in there with just an air stone until they get big enough for the big pond. Of course I can't put them in there until I can CATCH them (and they are fast!)