Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teamwoodhead

Plant Ideas

TeamWoodhead
11 years ago

We are actually really new to ponds and we are finishing one as we speak. Looking for plants and ideas to plant around the pond itself. Our pond is approx. 200 Gal. No fish at this time considering goldfish. Open to ideas please help!

Thanks

Comments (10)

• TeamWoodhead
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry forgot to mention its an informal pond.

Thanks

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Where are you located?

• mckool
    11 years ago

depending on your location and what you desire to do, here are many options of perennial pond plants and many land plants wil do well in a pond - impetiens is the best for me in North Georgia, also have marigolds, hosta, asuga(Needs lots of shade and well above water level), blue star, wondering jew is trying-we'll see. At least with the land annuals they are cheap and fun to experiment with.

• MrBlubs
    11 years ago

Daylillies Look teally cool around the pond. I also like Thyme in an around the rocks. Also irises, My favorites being Blue Iris, and King Blue siberian Iris. Parrots feather can go around where the water fall is and looks really cool when it trails down. And That papyrus plant i think its called is good for adding height in the back. And if you are in a hot climate Pitcher plants add a nice tropical look.
    Those are some of my sugestions...

• Holly_ON
    11 years ago

How lucky you are to live in a zone where you have so many options. This northern ponder is jealous. When I was making plant decisions, I looked at many pictures on the Internet to see what look I would like. You will not have to worry so much about the hardiness of your decisions.

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Plant wise I'm jealous of you Holly in Ontario. Since moving to Phoenix I've had to throw out everything I knew about gardening and start over.

• TeamWoodhead
    Original Author
    11 years ago

waterbug I am in the Atlanta GA area so more so zone 7 than 8

• waterbug_guy
    11 years ago

Your options are almost endless in Atlanta. To list all the possibilities would take pages.

• mckool
    11 years ago

TeamWoodhead - I'm in Woodstock and grow many annuals as I mentioned in a post above, if you find any additional suggestions, I'm listening.
    McKool

• diggery
    11 years ago

Hello TeamW. You have unlimited options for 'around' the pond so plant what pleases YOU. I'm about 2 hrs south of you and have incorporated a mix so something's always in bloom to lend color.

I have sawgrass (for height ~8') black elephant ears (~5') green elephant ears, a banana tree, canna lillies, daylillies, iris, hosta, caladium, coleus, sweet potato vine (green, bronze & red/purple varieties - dunno actual names) liriope (green & varigated) sedum (autumn joy + a couple low growing ones) creeping jenny, verbena (vine & upright) asparagus fern and a gerbera daisy to boot. Oh, and as a backdrop there's a huge multi-colored lantana (~5', the name escapes me at present). There's also forget-me-nots & a stand of spiderwort (love me some blue) oh, and blue star creeper as mentioned above. Any of these should work for you but I'd skip the spiderwort. It's there ONLY because I've been unable to rid my yard of it after 12 yrs of hard labor - came with the house - highly invasive here, lovely as it is, and the bane of my gardening existence.

@mckool: wandering jew & pothos IN the pond thrive here. i just pinched off a sprig of my houseplants & plopped em in a gravel pot in the pond. tried impatiens couple times but they don't like my little puddle for some reason..