Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhouseguy13

Why won't my fish eat?

greenhouseguy13
16 years ago

Hi everyone, my koi and goldfish in my 3000 gallon pond won't eat pellets even when I'm not around and I'm getting concerned, the only time they will eat pellets is when one sinks to the bottom, the only way I'm keeping them alive in this hot weather is by mushing bread together and dropping it to the bottom, is there any reason why? are they just getting used to me? I have had them about a week and a half I spend about an hour and a half out with them everyday now so that they'll hopefully get used to me quicker, but anyway there fine for now, I would just like to train them

Comments (9)

• pikecoe
    16 years ago

Kirk..Are you talking about your new fish? IMO it is sometimes what they have been used to eating versus a new kind of food. My fish will eat anything, but prefer floating pellets because that is what I give them. They don't like to have to find them on the bottom. They will eat sinking pellets, if I drop them slowly. My daughters fish only will eat sinking pellets, because that is what they are used to. They seem to like scrounging around on the bottom for their food. Your new fish also need to adjust to a new invironment. You can give them cooked green peas minus the skin of the peas. Hope they start eating soon for you. Glenda

• mycatsbc
    16 years ago

Kirk I got some new fish about 5 weeks ago. They just started coming to me for food. At first they acted like yours, not eating the pellets. Once they figured out that it was food they would eat the pellets if I walked aways. Finally last week when I go over to them they come out to see about getting food. Good luck and have fun with the fish.

• greenhouseguy13
    Original Author
    16 years ago

so just keep putting the pellets on the pond untill they get it, right? Should I hold off on bread feeding untill they get curious to try other foods?

• greenhouseguy13
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks mycatsbc, I stayed out for 3 hours today and put some pellets in, i think they eventually forgot I was there because they came up and ate some, I was really exited just to know they are making progress the small goldfish are still to small to eat the pellets so hopefully by the time they can they will learn from the other fish, my panfish now also eliminates misquitos laying eggs in the pond lol, he is my new watchfish

• ninjabut
    16 years ago

I had 6 goldies who were scared of any movement. When I went out to feed them, I would tap on the side of the pond, put the food in, then sit in a chair next to the pond to watch them.
    It took a couple of weeks til they got it, then they started recognizing my step on the deck and were there the minute I put the food in! Much fun to watch!
    Unfortunately, a racoon must have made the same noises and ended up with a gormet midnight snack!
    I'm starting over with a net and motion lights over the pond! Nancy

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

It takes time for them to recognize you and get used to you...
    Then one day they'll just all come a running as soon as they hear you. They first have to get used to the new digs, then you're second. Also feed them earth worms, their crazy for worms. Have fun, your adventures are just beginning.
    Joann

• ediegillman_msn_com
    13 years ago

my husband has a large pond with koi and goldfish in we had over a 100 fish in the pond now we have less than half that left we have got goldfish that have ulcers on them we have lost a lot cause of that problem he has treated the pond and fish but we r still losing them he cleaned the pond out throughly atn the weekend and seperated the bad from the good and also they r not eating either what can we do

• Vlad Nechai
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I also recently had a similar problem, and I could not solve it right away. The whole problem was that I did not give quality food. In fact, that was enough to feed her eggs. I was very lucky that I was a farmer and I just had egg production. I could not even think that she would eat these eggs. And I know that my products are the best, because there are a huge number of different machines that improve my farm. I especially want to highlight the pulp molding machine and this is the best machine at the moment that I have. High-quality, compact and multi-functional.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES