Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too many goldfish!

Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 15:41

This time last year, I was anxiously waiting for my three goldfish to spawn.

Now I'm wondering what to do with all these baby goldfish. They spawned once last summer, then at least 4 times so far this year. More likely 6 or 7 times. There are at least 100 goldfish in the 4000 gallon pond (plus a lot of swordtails and mosquito fish). We're running out of room.

Last year's babies are getting big, I'm afraid they'll be spawning soon.

What do you do with all the babies? I'm giving away as many as possible at my pond club, but that's a limited market...

And is there some kind of birth control for fish? I thought of separating the three adults, but my husband thinks it would be mean to take them away from their friends. Anyway, we don't have enough ponds to keep every fish on its own...

This post was edited by steiconi on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 20:01

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too many goldfish!

I suspect that your large number of fish will NOW be your birth control by eating all the new eggs. I started with three fish that went to 18 and they stabalized there. I had a second pond and moved a couple into it and I got a spawn of about 30 and that has remained steady as well.

o

One trick I saw on this forum a while ago was to put a cotton mop head over the side of the pond under the water. The eggs will wind up there. After the spawn, remove the mop head.

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 14, 13 at 14:11

Thanks for the reassurance, I had visions of the tank being completely filled with a squirming orange mass...

Off to buy a mop.

o

Hi
I would tend to agree with chas045 .That's what happened to mine except went from 8 to 104 in a little over a year lol. Know there was 104 as it was repaired so all the fish were moved . There may be more now as they tend to be very dark when young so hard to see.
Funny story. Friend added some peacock bass to his pool to control GF. They did a bang up job eliminated ALL the GF and now over run with PB lol
I'm thinking of adding some tilapia at least if they over populate they are very good eating lol
Good luck with the mop trick gary

o

• Posted by steiconi 12b-Big Island, HI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 15:46

I have a tank full of tilapia, too; they seem to have stabilized their population. But that's only a theory--they're so shy, I never see them, I only know they're there by the splashes as they hide.

I put a few 2" and larger goldfish in with the tilapia (the first one by accident, the others to keep it company). i guess the tilapia will only eat them when they're really small.

o

Post for free on Craigslist.. There are tons of people that would love to have your babies.

o

We end up giving a lot away. Usually most of the babies get eaten up by the adults. We found that having a couple of cat fish helps as well. My husband is actually upset that we don't have any babies yet. He put minnows in our pond that he had left over from a fishing trip. I'm sure they're eating up quite a bit of the eggs and fry as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here